Bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I get a betta when it's a baby and it grows up with my other community fish in a 30 gallon tank, will it be less aggressive?

Other fish-
5 White skirts tetras
5 Green glo tetras
5 Cory's
1 blue powder gourami

Well I don't know the answer out right, but Siegfried and Roy raised all those white tigers and then one day.... Just because the tigers were raised in captivity and by them and taught to be social with humans doesn't mean they stop being tigers. You can never forget what the instincts of the animals you're raising are, those are your insights into what they're capable of. Good luck.

It should be fine with all those fish except I wouldn't get a gourami with a Betta. iME Bettas really hate Gouramis.

IMO, bettas should not be mixed with other labyrinth breathers (ie. gouramis). Yes, sometimes it will work, but it often does not and then you can have some nasty consequences to deal with. Also, glo tetras sometimes tick off bettas with all erratic swimming. If I was you, I would just get a 5g tank for a betta and not attempt one in your current community. It is safer that way.
Another note, I would never put a betta in a community unless you have a back-up plan for in case it doesn't work out.

+1 to absolutangel, they probably shouldn't be mixed with other labrynth fish.

The tetras could possibly be a bit too over-active and stress the betta out, usually resulting in either an aggressive or dead betta. Not saying this is always the case, just depends on the betta and whether he/she lets things like that stress him/her out.

I also wouldnt add a baby into a community tank. Babies are much easier stressed than adults and need more specialized care. If you are dead set on trying this I'd wait until the baby is close to adult size, or add an adult in instead.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely pass on that idea! It really was just a thought I had anyways!

Back
Top Bottom