Biorb Aquariums - Experience, Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishynut02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Right now I have a 4 gallon baby biorb with a betta fish, its doing great, I've had it for 8 months or so. I want to get another tank, and I'm thinking about a different biorb. I've read up and know they don't have a lot of surface area because of their round shape, but I am wondering about the new biorb life aquariums. They aren't round, so shouldn't they have more surface area for the fish, which is better (from what I understand). I am definitely no expert, so I just wanted to get your opinions and experience. Thanks a lot

To me, they seem incredibly expensive for what you get. They look cool, but the light is underpowered for anything but fake plants, and the filtration is unimpressive IMO. For a cheaper price, you could get a Biocube 29 gallon or similar if you like the all in one kits. If you're not set on a kit aquarium, you could piece together a nice planted tank for less money. :)

Right now I have a 4 gallon baby biorb with a betta fish, its doing great, I've had it for 8 months or so. I want to get another tank, and I'm thinking about a different biorb. I've read up and know they don't have a lot of surface area because of their round shape, but I am wondering about the new biorb life aquariums. They aren't round, so shouldn't they have more surface area for the fish, which is better (from what I understand). I am definitely no expert, so I just wanted to get your opinions and experience. Thanks a lot

They claim scientists in USA and UK showed their was more oxygen in the water of one of those tanks than a regular rectangular tank of same capacity.

How turthful was that...... I no idea. I do know however in the UK you could prove that one way or another by making a freddom of information act request for the proof. So would they make a false claim that could be proved wrong so easily?.... Again I don't know

They've been saying lately that a new government program will save money too :rolleyes: Just saying.

lol great one gzeiger.... i am sure there are plenty of people you can pay to get them to say what ever you want.

If the concentration of oxygen in a BiOrb is 0.00001 ppm higher than that of a rectangular tank of the same volume, they can make such a claim without lying... you get the point.

It is basically a marketing ploy, otherwise public aquariums all over the world would have been renovated by now. Go with the bigger gallonage! You will regret it if you dont!

The concentration should be less, right? Because the tank is more vertical, it still has less surface area in the 12gal tank than in my 10gal QT.

They may also mean a rectangular tank with the same underpowered filtration.

HA! Okay...I can actually address this. Me and my friend tested this because he had monies and I didn't. I didn't buy the bioorb and he did. We are both biochemistry grad students. I know seriously nerdy, but oh well.

Basically the orb does have more oxygen...but...this is how. It generates a upward/in current which allows more surface movement. It is a subtle, slow current...It basically does what we buy airstones and such for. This current pushes the water up and across the top of the surface allowing a higher exchange of gases in the air, thus a higher rate of oxygenation. I could not say for sure that the oxygen saturation is really higher for sure. But, you can measure the dissolved oxygen or the conductivity of the water, especially for SW setups.

Basically though, I agree with Severum and so would my friend. They are nice setups to be sure, but you could basically generate the same efficiently oxygenated tank setup with any old tank and a good filtration system, airstone, or powerheads, or your choice of water movement device.

Basically all the gadgets we add to our tanks to improve the overall quality of the water typically also circulates the water adding to the dissolved gases in that water, oxygen, carbon, nitrogen and so forth. It isn't really a gimmick, but it isn't completely compelling either. I think their comparison for oxygen levels must have been compared to a standard capacity filtration in a matched standard tank size. A fair comparison, but who only uses a filter alone and never adjusts anything and has a healthy tank ....no one. We all adjust water level, add contraptions, even do regular water changes, which all also oxygenate the water.

To be sure, you can spend less money and get an equivelant or better tank :). That's my two cents :D

Thanks

Thanks for the input, I decided not to get a biorb life, but just to keep my baby biorb with a betta and when I move into a place with more space I'll work on getting a bigger setup.

Back
Top Bottom