Carbon in filtration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garrettkei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was curious about opinions using or not using carbon in their filtration systems. I've read pros and cons. What do you have and does it work better or is it healthier for your tank? Thanks

All carbon does is remove chemicals from the water. Useless unless trying to remove something like medications. Leave it out until you need it to rove something specific.

Chemical Medium

I was curious about opinions using or not using carbon in their filtration systems. I've read pros and cons. What do you have and does it work better or is it healthier for your tank? Thanks

Hello gar...

If you're a good water changer, you never need to use it. Large, frequent water changes will do the same job only many times better.

B

There are a few other things that carbon does like remove tannins and smells from the tank but generally speaking it is taking a space that could be used for a more beneficial bio or mechanical media. Depending on the manufacturer, it expires after a few weeks anyway and becomes an ineffective chemical, bio and mechanical filter. Some people swear by it but I have to agree with brad. Large frequent water changes are better.

Don't let people tell you not to use it though. If you have sufficient bio and mechanical media and would prefer to use it and don't mind swapping it out every so often then use it. It's completely optional.

There's a decent link on the net I used to help me decide I'll see if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom