cory catfish and neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bensmom2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!!

I just got a 20 gallon tank for my betta and mystery snail, and I am planning on introducing some tank mates as well.

Today I got 6 neon tetras and 2 albino corydoras, who are all currently hanging out in a 3.5 gal quarantine tank. I’ve been reading up on these guys and I know now that they are both schooling fish, so i was thinking about getting a couple more of each. I want to make them all happy, but I also don’t want to overcrowd my quarantine tank or my 20 gallon. What do you recommend?

(realizing now that this is not the correct forum for this lol but if you can answer my question I'd appreciate it. I have no idea how to delete posts hehe.)

Just wait out the QT for the fish you have now and get some additional fish for that QT tank after ones just purchased go into the new tank.

Probably do daily or every other day pwc on the QT, to keep the water perfect and five these new guys the best chance possible in the QT transition period. I (accidentally) have killed fish in the QT because of missing a water change or not having enough BB to handle the new fish load.

I would give the time of a couple weeks to 3 before adding new fish to round out the groups. When these guys are good, buy the newest ones for QT and then 2-3 weeks the BB should be catching up for the next ones to go in.

Just watch the main tank parameters too, pwc more than usual during the new fish adding stages.

Feed enough to eat but lightly (or divide the portions for AM/PM too, young fish like food more often) so there aren't leftovers and it will go pretty well I think!

Back
Top Bottom