Cycling with prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robo-snickers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was wondering if this would work,

if you are trying to cycle a new tank and experiencing alot of fish deaths and the water changes are becoming to much to handle or you dont have time to do it, couldnt you just dose your tank with prime for a day or two until you have time to change the water? I am not saying forget the water changes all together, but wouldnt the prime make life easier?

I tried prime during my fishless cycle and it didn't make any differences that would help keep it less toxic to fish. It doesn't directly and immediately detox, it just ups the bacteria which may or may not live and thrive.

A fishin cycle shouldn't be killing fish.

I hear you, those water changes are a pain and can sneak up on you with fish in a new tank. If you want to avoid big water changes at short notice the only way to go IMO is fishless.

Even if you add ammonia remover as a quick fix, it doesn't treat other toxins. And adding anything to the water increases osmotic stress ... Basically too much of anything in the water that isn't water can kill fish. It can get super acidic, the dissolved solids can build up ... Think of it like air that's full of pollen and smog and you keep adding chemicals to sorta make it better. Doesn't make it easier to breathe!

Fish deaths shouldn't be happening during a fish in cycle and I definitely wouldn't rely on prime but it can help you out.

What size tank is this?
What stock is in this tank?
How much and often do you feed?
What are your current parameters?
How often are you doing water changes?

With that info we will probably be able to offer some more constructive advice.

Just do it fishless and stop killing fish

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I tried prime during my fishless cycle and it didn't make any differences that would help keep it less toxic to fish. It doesn't directly and immediately detox, it just ups the bacteria which may or may not live and thrive.

I hear you, those water changes are a pain and can sneak up on you with fish in a new tank. If you want to avoid big water changes at short notice the only way to go IMO is fishless.

Even if you add ammonia remover as a quick fix, it doesn't treat other toxins. And adding anything to the water increases osmotic stress ... Basically too much of anything in the water that isn't water can kill fish. It can get super acidic, the dissolved solids can build up ... Think of it like air that's full of pollen and smog and you keep adding chemicals to sorta make it better. Doesn't make it easier to breathe!

Simply dont agree with this

If you simply don't agree offer some other form of advice or say why you don't agree.

I simply agree with this :)

I would like to point out that prime doesn't have any bacteria in it. It does contain chemicals that will detoxify ammonia, and nitrite for a short time.

Prime does instantly detoxify ammonia nitrite and nitrate for 24-48hrs. It's best to assume it lasts for 24hrs. It also dechlorinates and can be used during a fish in cycle. It will help detoxify ammonia and still supply food to the bacteria whilst the ammonia is bound in its non toxic form. It will work as a temporary measure until you can do your next water change.

Anything chemicals you add to the tank water could change the chemistry of the water and some are obviously designed to. This could have an effect on the osmoregulatory system but not that much of a big deal when using prime etc. personally I would not use prime in an established aquarium as the extra chemicals that work to bind toxins are unnecessary and I'm unsure how these effect the water.

Prime does instantly detoxify ammonia nitrite and nitrate for 24-48hrs. It's best to assume it lasts for 24hrs. It also dechlorinates and can be used during a fish in cycle. It will help detoxify ammonia and still supply food to the bacteria whilst the ammonia is bound in its non toxic form. It will work as a temporary measure until you can do your next water change.

Anything chemicals you add to the tank water could change the chemistry of the water and some are obviously designed to. This could have an effect on the osmoregulatory system but not that much of a big deal when using prime etc. personally I would not use prime in an established aquarium as the extra chemicals that work to bind toxins are unnecessary and I'm unsure how these effect the water.

Thanks for explaining where I was mistaken!! I clearly have my products wrong. I thought prime was more of a dechlorinator and slime coat helper.

Back
Top Bottom