DIY sump tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishfool58 said:
One guy at a lfs said he would drill it for 85 if he came to my house, 50 If I took it there..so all I'd need then is the pump..

So maybe 100 bucks hmmmm I wonder if you can fond someone to do it cheaper

Andrew McFadden said:
50 for him and 50 for the pump. Well around those prices lol :) right? Or did I miss something

Idk how much a pump will be.. & it's taking a while to research it cause I was never good with anything unless I saw it or hands on.. Lol

My fuge is in the middle and I would make it bigger then the photo shows that you have. You don't need 12" for the pump in all reality so I'd share that space with the refugium. I'd make it simple as I did and it works great. How long and wide is this tank? Ill draw up a picture and give measurements on what I'd do but it won't change a lot from the photos above.

Andrew McFadden said:
My fuge is in the middle and I would make it bigger then the photo shows that you have. You don't need 12" for the pump in all reality so I'd share that space with the refugium. I'd make it simple as I did and it works great. How long and wide is this tank? Ill draw up a picture and give measurements on what I'd do but it won't change a lot from the photos above.

30 inch long, & the fuge is on the right because I will be doing lots of floating plants, & it will be slow moving water..

Are you still going to do the canister aswell? Because in all reality if you just want to grow some plants and help with filtering out stuff. I would just make it where its just a fuge that holds your heater and whatever else then a section for the pump.

Andrew McFadden said:
Are you still going to do the canister aswell? Because in all reality if you just want to grow some plants and help with filtering out stuff. I would just make it where its just a fuge that holds your heater and whatever else then a section for the pump.

Idk, i was considering either a sump or canister.. I was told sumps were bigger /better canisters.. & unfortunately I don't have hundreds of dollars to drop.. If the sunsun is actually a decent canister & is cheaper than making my sump then I'll do it.. & since I'm more of a hands on guy.. Reading how to's doesn't help as much as it would a normally person..

Now this is how my fuge is set up.

ForumRunner_20120904_122738.jpg

On the left side the half round circle the pvc goes down to the bottom. Witch leaves a half inch space from the end of the pvc from the glass. I then filled it full of sand and small rocks the rocks is to help the sand from clumping up. So this creates a lot of bacteria to go into and grow (like a fbf). The rounded part of plexi glass is higher then the one on the other side so the water flows out of it into the fuge. The fuge is planted full and has a deep sand bed with low light plants. It then runs over into the pump area to be pumped back up. Simple as can be ;) and the only reason I bent the p.glass was because I was lazy and diner want to cut it to make it go straight across

This has worked great for me but I also run a canister filter and a hob.

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
Now this is how my fuge is set up.

On the left side the half round circle the pvc goes down to the bottom. Witch leaves a half inch space from the end of the pvc from the glass. I then filled it full of sand and small rocks the rocks is to help the sand from clumping up. So this creates a lot of bacteria to go into and grow (like a fbf). The rounded part of plexi glass is higher then the one on the other side so the water flows out of it into the fuge. The fuge is planted full and has a deep sand bed with low light plants. It then runs over into the pump area to be pumped back up. Simple as can be ;) and the only reason I bent the p.glass was because I was lazy and diner want to cut it to make it go straight across

This has worked great for me but I also run a canister filter and a hob.

Well I'd have a penguin 330.. I wouldn't need any sort of media in my sump?

Here is the other type I've made and used and it worked great aswell. Without other filters

ForumRunner_20120904_125737.jpg

Each chamber is 3" and each one is full of something different. Like the first chamber has floss on top and a drip plate that goes over bio balls. The next chamber is full of sponges. And so on and so on and so on. It's easy to clean by the way.

fishfool58 said:
Well I'd have a penguin 330.. I wouldn't need any sort of media in my sump?

No not if your going to run a hob or canister. The point of a five is to build bacteria. Mine has been up for a year or little longer and I haven't even cleaned mine.

Andrew McFadden said:
No not if your going to run a hob or canister. The point of a five is to build bacteria. Mine has been up for a year or little longer and I haven't even cleaned mine.

Ooh, so what media is in my hob is enough media for my tank.

fishfool58 said:
Ooh, so what media is in my hob is enough media for my tank.

What media are you talking about? I'm saying if you do both it would be enough. The point of the refugium is to house BB that's all you really need in my opinion.

I know we are not talking saltwater here. But with saltwater there are people that only run refugiums to filter.

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
What media are you talking about? I'm saying if you do both it would be enough. The point of the refugium is to house BB that's all you really need in my opinion.

I know we are not talking saltwater here. But with saltwater there are people that only run refugiums to filter.

Like ceramic rings, carbon, sponges.. Stuff like that..

fishfool58 said:
Like ceramic rings, carbon, sponges.. Stuff like that..

The carbon isn't really needed, I don't use it. The ceramic rings are to build BB on so with a refugium they shouldn't be needed. And sponges are to hold BB but its mostly to filter out particles. So I would put your other filter full of sponges or floss with the refugium and call it done :) if you go that route

Andrew McFadden said:
The carbon isn't really needed, I don't use it. The ceramic rings are to build BB on so with a refugium they shouldn't be needed. And sponges are to hold BB but its mostly to filter out particles. So I would put your other filter full of sponges or floss with the refugium and call it done :) if you go that route

Okay, I get it now.. Ha.. Makes sense now.. :p

Just wanna update.. I told a fellow friend of mine I was starting a sump, & needed to drill my tank, & he offered me his 75gal bowfront tank, already drilled for 300 dollars including sump pump & everything except fish water & sand..(he's gonna throw in some lace/base rock for free) So I'm going to take his offer.. & use his sump as a guideline when I do my next one.. I appreciate all of your input & will always remember it for next time. Thanks guys & when I get my new tank up.. I'll post pictures!! I really appreciate all of your help!!!

fishfool58 said:
Just wanna update.. I told a fellow friend of mine I was starting a sump, & needed to drill my tank, & he offered me his 75gal bowfront tank, already drilled for 300 dollars including sump pump & everything except fish water & sand..(he's gonna throw in some lace/base rock for free) So I'm going to take his offer.. & use his sump as a guideline when I do my next one.. I appreciate all of your input & will always remember it for next time. Thanks guys & when I get my new tank up.. I'll post pictures!! I really appreciate all of your help!!!

No problem that's why we are all here, can't wait to see photos :)

Andrew McFadden said:
No problem that's why we are all here, can't wait to see photos :)

Getting the tank Sunday.. :) I can't wait either.. Now I'm debating what to do with the 75 gal I have when I get the new one.. Thought about breeding frontiers.. Since I was given one, I could get another.. But I know they need a huge tank.. Idk if that is big enough gotta research..

Edit: breeding FRONTOSA.. thanks iPhone.. :grr:

Back
Top Bottom