DIY sump tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I'm looking for a quick route to a diy sump, I have a 75gal African Cichlid tank, has about 20 fish in it.. All bout an 1 1/2 inch now.. & I know my biowheel 330 won't be able to handle the bio load when they get older. I would love to make my own sump as it seems the easiest cheapest route.. if anyone has any help or advice I'd greatly appreciate it! thanks.

Google is your friend. Many designs out there to copy and/or modify.

blert said:
Google is your friend. Many designs out there to copy and/or modify.

Yeah, I tried that a little.. Couldn't find any to go into a little more detail.. I saw a bunch where they should showed their sump.. So I'll keep looking..

They are all basically the same principal.

Since you are talking freshwater, you will want a minimum of two compartments: A media compartment where the water comes into the sump containing mechanical, biological and potentially chemical media trays. The other compartment will be your return area, you want to make this as large as possible as all evaporation will evidence itself here.

You may also consider a low flow refugium section with some fast growing plants to help battle nitrate.

When planning keep in mind the space needed to relocate things in your display into the sump: heaters, ATO, etc...

blert said:
They are all basically the same principal.

Since you are talking freshwater, you will want a minimum of two compartments: A media compartment where the water comes into the sump containing mechanical, biological and potentially chemical media trays. The other compartment will be your return area, you want to make this as large as possible as all evaporation will evidence itself here.

You may also consider a low flow refugium section with some fast growing plants to help battle nitrate.

When planning keep in mind the space needed to relocate things in your display into the sump: heaters, ATO, etc...

Right, I got that, & the refugium.. But my main question that I'm confused on is what size tank I'll need for a sump, & don't wanna screw up how full to make it with the valves for water flow & don't want it to over flow if power went off.. The whole measuring part I get.. The assembly & return & syphon box Im having a harder time figure out.. It's been 10 years since I had fish, & I was 12 when I last had them.. I've never had anything but a hob filter..

If you are not going to drill your tank, then i recommend getting the CPR overflow box. Determine your pump size, the correct gph overflow box. If you want 750gph, then you want a pump that is stronger. Gravity works against the pump. You might need a 1000gph pump. Look up "sump head loss".

The sump can be any size. Most people get the biggest sump that fits under the stand. You want it big enough and designed properly to prevent flooding. The sump will never be filled all the way up to the top.

If you plan your sump and draw it out, then we can add additional advice.

Terrance said:
If you are not going to drill your tank, then i recommend getting the CPR overflow box. Determine your pump size, the correct gph overflow box. If you want 750gph, then you want a pump that is stronger. Gravity works against the pump. You might need a 1000gph pump. Look up "sump head loss".

The sump can be any size. Most people get the biggest sump that fits under the stand. You want it big enough and designed properly to prevent flooding. The sump will never be filled all the way up to the top.

If you plan your sump and draw it out, then we can add additional advice.

I'll work on a plan.. & I'll post pictures get your guys opinion.. I heard making your own overflow box wasn't to bad.. One guy made his own out of plexiglass.. & PVC pipe..

fishfool58 said:
I'll work on a plan.. & I'll post pictures get your guys opinion.. I heard making your own overflow box wasn't to bad.. One guy made his own out of plexiglass.. & PVC pipe..

Yeah, but it is usually a lot easier, and cleaner looking, to its buy one. If you want to drill the tank Glass-Holes.com has excellent options. If you don't want to drill there are many inexpensive HOB overflow boxes you can pick up.

Okay, I don't want to drill the tank.. So overflow it is.. This is a picture I drew up.. With the 20 long.. But it's got no part for refugium.. Which I think I need for my plants to help with nitrAtes..

Attachments

• image-4149517005.jpg
    image-4149517005.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 78
fishfool58 said:
Okay, I don't want to drill the tank.. So overflow it is.. This is a picture I drew up.. With the 20 long.. But it's got no part for refugium.. Which I think I need for my plants to help with nitrAtes..

Skip the filter sock and use a media rack at the input.

Since it is freshwater, you can skip the bubble trap as you won't be using a skimmer.

Put the return in the center and feed the refugium with a valved tee from the inlet. You want low flow through the 'fuge.

blert said:
Skip the filter sock and use a media rack at the input.

Since it is freshwater, you can skip the bubble trap as you won't be using a skimmer.

Put the return in the center and feed the refugium with a valved tee from the inlet. You want low flow through the 'fuge.

Okay, so all the media goes on the rack? & I thought I wanted it to go through the refugium so the plants sucked up all the nitrAtes.. Lol I'm just getting back into it.. & everyones saying get a canister but sumps are bigger canisters & it seems easier/cheaper.. I'll redraw another one..how big should my refugium be? & will the 20 long be a big enough sump for my 75?

How about this One.. Idk how to position the baffles for My refugium..

Attachments

• image-1572119830.jpg
    image-1572119830.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 65
I would have kept the filter sock and put a bag of filter media under it to make this simpler. It takes care of all your basic filtration needs. Filter trays can do the same.

Make the return chamber as big as possible because freshwater evaporates faster than saltwater and all your evaporation is occurring there. Leftover space is for the fuge.

Use only floating plants in your refugium. Consider an algae turf scrubber. If not that, then perhaps dwarf water lettuce. Duckweed is too messy.

Terrance said:
I would have kept the filter sock and put a bag of filter media under it to make this simpler. It takes care of all your basic filtration needs. Filter trays can do the same.

Make the return chamber as big as possible because freshwater evaporates faster than saltwater and all your evaporation is occurring there. Leftover space is for the fuge.

Use only floating plants in your refugium. Consider an algae turf scrubber. If not that, then perhaps dwarf water lettuce. Duckweed is too messy.

Okay, when I get home I'll draw something up, so I want filter sock going down, water goes trough ceramic rings, carbon, & foam blocks.. Do i need any other media.. Ammo carbs, anything extra? & How many dividers do I need between that section & the next.. & does the fuge go in the middle or end.. & I have duckweed in my 10gal planted... It can be a pain.. & algae turn scrubber? Is that's type of plant or is that a category of plants?

IMO, filter socks (though great at what they do) would waste too much space in a 20 long sump.

If I was to build it I would likely do it like the following pic.

Use the ball valve to control flow into the 'fuge.

Attachments

• image-2107602396.jpg
    image-2107602396.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 57
blert said:
IMO, filter socks (though great at what they do) would waste too much space in a 20 long sump.

If I was to build it I would likely do it like the following pic.

Use the ball valve to control flow into the 'fuge.

Okay.. That's what you meant, I was curious how the water in the fuge was being used.. Didnt know that was filled with water from the syphon box... Is it okay that that part of the water doesn't go through the media?

fishfool58 said:
Okay.. That's what you meant, I was curious how the water in the fuge was being used.. Didnt know that was filled with water from the syphon box... Is it okay that that part of the water doesn't go through the media?

Yeah, it's fine. It is only a small fraction of water bypassing the media rack, hence the ball valve to control flow to the 'fuge. You want relatively low flow through the 'fuge, enough to keep things moving around but not so much that the plants get blown all over the place. Plus, you want the contact time in the 'fuge. And the plants and things in the 'fuge also act as a filter.

Other than a few basic rules, sump design is mostly a matter of personal preference and what will work for you. You can use filter socks and/or put the 'fuge in the middle section if it works best for you. FYI, putting the 'fuge in the center section will be high flow and floating plants are not going to work (even using egg crate) as they will end up in your return or clog up the egg crate.

As long as water passes through media, you will be fine.

I got less than 5inches in my first chamber with 2 extra large filter socks in my sump.

Study your design and other people's design as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom