Dye Fish ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JokerBebop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This may be a dum question... Sorry if it is, but I was on Oscarfish.com and I was reading a thread about some guy who dyed his Oscars. Is this possible ??? If so are there any negative side effects for the fish ? And how is this possible ?

uh oh.. your about to get bombarded with "fish welfare" articles... lol.
watch and see.

It certainly possible...there are three ways it is done...injection, dye bath, and tattooing (quite literally)...all three are very hard on the fish and usually have long-lasting, severe impacts on the fish's health and immune response. Oddly, most fish that are dyed are far more attractive in their natural state, so the entire idea seems ludicrous, but so long as people buy them, people dye them.

One website, called death by dyeing organizaiton or something like that (don't have the link on my work computer) had some pretty negative things to say about dye and fish. Sicker fish, kidney damage, shorter lifespan etc. I personally decided it was not for me. I say negative things to the shop owner when I see them. good fish stores tend not to have them, the strip mall pet stores where fish is just a side business tend to be the ones that have them and they don't care. They also tend to be the pet stores that buy heavily from puppy mills, another evil pet trade thing. so sad.

plus the dye isnt permament. so they get ya past the guarentee and when it fades your on your own :(.

hmm are those the blue oscars? i think ive seen a couple of those

I was wondering about the blue jack dempsey to be perfectly honest.. but it looks like its a bread in color... :?:
If you guys couldnt tell already its been a while since I had my tank up and running.. :?

fish they inject with color - usually the 'painted' glass fish
fish they put in an acid bath full of pigment - blood parrot cichlids, 'fruit' tetra

It's a very horrific process, and you should never support the sale of such fish. Be vocal at your LFS and maybe they'll stop ordering them. My LFS doesn't get fish like that.

Back
Top Bottom