Fiddler Crab Paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 3.5 gallon aquarium that will become available after I update my frog tank. Would a fiddler crab fit in there is a paludarium? I know that they are brackish. Any advice welcome. I'm doing my own research, but am not finding much of what I need.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Hmm I think that's a little small. I have mine in a 14 gal, I would say 10 minimum to give a couple of them enough room to have sufficient water and land. In a 3.5 gal you could have as little as 1 gal or less of water in there and I've read it's hard to maintain proper SG in that little of water. I keep mine with at least 4 gals of water. I've seen lots of set ups that had very little water and while I do think they need quite a bit of land, I think more water than they are often given would be appreciated. I would say mind spend 50/50 time in water and on land. I had one male get so big I can't imagine keeping him in a 3.5...often they seem tiny when you first get them but after a few molts they can really get pretty big.

siva said:
Hmm I think that's a little small. I have mine in a 14 gal, I would say 10 minimum to give a couple of them enough room to have sufficient water and land. In a 3.5 gal you could have as little as 1 gal or less of water in there and I've read it's hard to maintain proper SG in that little of water. I keep mine with at least 4 gals of water. I've seen lots of set ups that had very little water and while I do think they need quite a bit of land, I think more water than they are often given would be appreciated. I would say mind spend 50/50 time in water and on land. I had one male get so big I can't imagine keeping him in a 3.5...often they seem tiny when you first get them but after a few molts they can really get pretty big.

Then what can I have in it? I hate to see it go to waste as empty. I can't buy a bigger tank, we are already doing that for my frog. I'm not set on fiddler crabs, just finding a use for this tank.

I'm in the same situation. I am going to upgrade my frogs from their 2.5 gal and I'm like..well...what do I do with it now? I don't think it's humane to keep a fish in there so I have no idea. Anyone else??

siva said:
I'm in the same situation. I am going to upgrade my frogs from their 2.5 gal and I'm like..well...what do I do with it now? I don't think it's humane to keep a fish in there so I have no idea. Anyone else??

What about a shrimp tank? I just thought of it. It seems like it would work. Any suggestions for shrimp?

I have red cherries, blue pearls, crystal reds, and a green variety. And the run of the mill ghost shrimp. Hmm that might be neat..maybe I could pull some out of my DT and put them in there. They are so hard to catch though lol

i have 3 fiddlers in a 5.5g with a glass custom top(cut from glass at lowes for$2) with aqua-tech 5-15 filter on end. with enough gravel to get out of water and i made egg carton(clear plastic kind) bottom with a cave that goes all the way in under the gravel.one male is always in it, the female roams, and the other male likes to get on top of the coconut half(cave shelter)and stay where i can see him and does his claw dance...without a filter it will stink and be a pain...same concept as a turtle tank(above) check my albums for a better idea

never mind, here it is...
33953-albums1418-picture9731.jpg

i have 3 fiddlers in a 5.5g with a glass custom top(cut from glass at lowes for$2) with aqua-tech 5-15 filter on end. with enough gravel to get out of water and i made egg carton(clear plastic kind) bottom with a cave that goes all the way in under the gravel.one male is always in it, the female roams, and the other male likes to get on top of the coconut half(cave shelter)and stay where i can see him and does his claw dance...without a filter it will stink and be a pain...same concept as a turtle tank(above) check my albums for a better idea

Well..I think that's a little small for them...I keep 3 in a 14 gal and I can't imagine giving them less space than that. I think it's a nice set up otherwise though :) Curious..you got 1 male 2 females? I picked up a second male and added him with my much beloved Mr. Crabs and he freaking killed him :( RIP Mr. Crabs.

2 males, 1 female. one male has a big right claw(..Righty,hes always on top) the other male(Lefty) has an entrance hole that goes all the way to the back under the gravel, it has air pockets too. so they rarely see each other, now. they were in a 10g. this is way better of a setup.like having a 2 story house

Bettababe1011 said:
What about a shrimp tank? I just thought of it. It seems like it would work. Any suggestions for shrimp?

I was just gonna say duh a shrimp tank reading through all the posts ha... I would do shrimp and if you have some fish like say.... A betta lol you can use them as live food too ... If your betta likes that sorta thing

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

TraceyB4602 said:
I was just gonna say duh a shrimp tank reading through all the posts ha... I would do shrimp and if you have some fish like say.... A betta lol you can use them as live food too ... If your betta likes that sorta thing

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I would never put any of my bettas in less than five, or ten in my case, gallons.

the way i have mine setup, i get more usable room. a 14g is the same dimensions as a 10g just taller.

Riiight...my tank is still bigger so I'm confused I don't understand how you get more usable room in a 5??

I'm ordering them an underwater island...have you seen those? They are really cool. I think I'm gonna move them to a 20 long and use the 14 for something that can use the height.

I wish I could have 2 males together but I'm scared to ever try again. My male that killed my other male, he even ripped a leg off a little female. Big ol' bully :(

looks are decieving in my pic. the gravel yousee on the side is just enough to cover the structure under it. besides you have to get water and land for them, so it would take a lot of gravel if i didnt make the structure for the gravel to rest upon. i didnt plan on making the cave, it just kinda happened and saw the benefits.

Hmm the way I have it set up they kind of have two levels..there's an island above water. How did you set it up with 2 levels? I keep changing my mind on how I want to re-do mine.

Back
Top Bottom