filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terryeckel

Aquarium Advice Regular
i read in the fishless cycling section that filter media is better than the typical carbon filters. is this true ? i see that they make chemical and mechanical filter material, whats the difference and which one is best. i'm in the process of cycling a 16 gallon and i've also got a existing 55 gallon. the 55 has a bio wheel and the 16 just has the regular onr that came in the kit. any advice or expriences would greatly be appreciated.

"Filter media" is anything that goes in the filter to help your tank out. Anything that has water running through it where bacteria can colonize. Some people recommend using a sponge sheet instead of a carbon filter media, but carbon works for basic tanks.

so there's nothing to gain from changing my carbon filters out ?

IMO carbon can cause issues. It has to be changed every two weeks or it can start releasing harmful stuff back into the tank. The problem with filter bags is you can't get rid of the carbon with outs getting rid of most of your biofilter.

I don't use carbon except if I want to remove something specific from the water.

I change my carbon every month, never seems to have any ill effects, and every time I change it it doesn't either. The bacteria also stays in the holding area in your filter, they start to transfer to the new media immediately.

Any other filter media you have to change. Or "squeeze" too. Even with the sponges, you have you squeeze it out and it gets very disgusting. Keeps your bacteria, but it's not something I like doing.

I don't use carbon at all. Haven't for years. I don't use meds so don't need to worry about using carbon to remove meds. In my opinion, carbon really serves no purpose other than med removal. I use that extra space in the filter to add more biomedia or sponges/floss.

Back
Top Bottom