Finished setting up 10 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hugo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I've set up my new tank. The bacteria have moved in and I have a betta in my ten gallon heated tank. Temp set at 78 degrees. Now. I saw somewhere that you are supposed to have a tablespoon full of salt per 10 gallons. Is this true? And what happens if I put sugar in my tank on accident? How would my fish react?

What are adding the salt for? I am not an expert but I think you only add the salt for brackish water fish or for ICH. About the sugar I don't know maybe someone else can answer that.

It says on the container of salt that I bought that you can add one level table spoon of salt for ten gallons of water to reduce stress and condition the water

Personally I don't think you need to add salt to a freshwater tank other than for a treatment. They are freshwater fish after all. Others will have a different opinion though.

Oh ok. Do you know what would happen if I spilled sugar into the aquarium? I ask because the ten gallon is set up on the counter in our kitchen and right above it is the cabinet where we keep coffee and other supplies like sugar.

Hugo said:
Oh ok. Do you know what would happen if I spilled sugar into the aquarium? I ask because the ten gallon is set up on the counter in our kitchen and right above it is the cabinet where we keep coffee and other supplies like sugar.

Lol ok. I replied in your other thread. Does it have a lid? One of my betta tanks doesn't have one at the moment (stupid me dropped it) and I have a piece of cling wrap over the top until I get around to fixing the lid.

Haha no lid for me I just got the tank

You can buy a piece of acrylic to use as a lid to be on the safe side. It will also stop him from jumping out. I use a pics of second hand glass from a old tv cabinet on my 8g.

Back
Top Bottom