first master kit test results...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyApril83

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 37gallon tank on Thursday (sunday now) I did a 5 gallon water change. I have 5 black skirt tetras in the tank and 4 ghost shrimp. (started with 6 can't find 2) the tetras have been in the tank for a week and half

i posted in the sick fish forum too cuz as of yesterday some of the tetras are pale but their color comes back when I go up to the tank and when I feed them.
And one of the shrimp molted

ForumRunner_20130728_171609.jpg

ForumRunner_20130728_171034.jpg

I would say you need to do a bigger water change. You nitrItes are much higher than I would be comfortable with. If it were my tank I would do 40-50%.

Your tank is not cycled by looking at those results. Do a 50% water change every couple days until it is. You will know it is cycled ( in a few weeks by the looks of it since your reading nitrites) by the ammonia and nitrites reading 0 and nitrates having a reading greater than 0. After it is cycled do 50% water changes when nitrates hit 20ppm. Your fish are feeling the effects of the high ammonia and nitrite readings.

How long has the tank been setup? If its been up for awhile your doing improper filter maintenance and losing your cycle. Just clean filter media in a bucket of discarded tank water and stop changing the inserts. Or your tank hasn't been up long enough to establish a good cycle. Tell me how long it has been setup and what kind of filter you have and I'll give you the info to keep it happy for a long time.

The tank has been with water for 2.5 weeks. I started with amquel and a bacterial starter thing it bloomed 2 times before fish and 1time since fish..I'f I remember correctly ..since then I have pit some stress coat cuz a fish was swimming funny And with fish for 1.5 weeks. I have a top fin 40 filter

And just for my peace of mind I read these results as ~7.6 ammonia as ~0.5 nitrite of~0.25 and nitrate of ~ 5...or am I color blind.

And another question. Do treat the total water volume or just the new water volume. I have gotten multiple answers I will start doing a water change now.

And another question. Do treat the total water volume or just the new water volume. I have gotten multiple answers I will start doing a water change now.

i only treat the new water, theres no point in wasting the conditioner to treat the whole tank. your ghost shrimp may have been eaten by the black skirts they are known for nipping and being aggressive

Treat the entire tank volume with declorinator. Put it in add then add new water. I would say that is the readings I am seeing as well and since its only been setup for a couple weeks it's not gonna be cycled for another few weeks to a month or more. Large water changes will decrease the ammonia and nitrites so your fish will survive until it is cycled but it takes a little longer to get a good cycle when doing this because of the smaller amounts of ammonia left in the tank for the good bacteria to eat. So just be patient and do the water changes every couple days til it is cycled good then you can sit back and enjoy a healthy tank doing water changes when nitrates hit 20ppm(50% a week is a nice water change routine even if the nitrates aren't climbing that fast). Also don't change out filter pads, as I said just give them a rinse in tank water and reinstall. And only do this once in awhile, like every month or 2(depending on tank stocking). Don't use carbon in the filter it's just a waste of space, use more bio media.

Oh yeah don't use to much stress coat it really won't help that much, just makes bubbles and your filter slimy( sometimes). Keep the water clean is all that is needed for healthy fish.

i only treat the new water, theres no point in wasting the conditioner to treat the whole tank. your ghost shrimp may have been eaten by the black skirts they are known for nipping and being aggressive

If your using a bucket just treat the bucket volume, if dumping directly in tank treat entire tank volume. Also I looked at the test results again and the nitrates look like 0. Those will start to read soon.

Ok done. ~20 gal water change. I had to add ice to some of the water cuz my tap on cold Comes out at 85...and the tank is set at 78. I added ice to the bucket and let it melt. The ice comes from my filtered fridge...water measure now at 78. I dosed the water treatment for the whole tank....when do I test again? Next tank I likely won't start it so **** high...the bottom of this tank is at my chest level....lol

I have the filter it came with. I haven't changed it and its carbon...but if I take it out wont I loose the good bacteria?

What you want to do is do water changes every other day to help cycle the tank, if you feel the need to clean your filter rinse it in the old tank water so that you won't decimate the good bacteria. That is what I would do. You'll be cycled when your tank is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates will be over 5. A safe area for nitrates is between 10-20. That's the holy land right there. Ph is really of no concern unless your into really sensitive fish where they want neutral 7 or lower. Fish can adapt to ph over time.

And should I return the replacement filters I bought? And can you put pics of what I should replace it with?

How many inserts in the filter? If more thank just the carbon take it out when you another bio insert

*add another bio insert I meant to say. Also you can test again in a couple hours to see if your levels are better. I would say they should be good til tomorrow. Keep the ammonia at .25 or lower and fish should be ok and cycle bacteria will still feed. With the filter inserts sometimes the carbon is attached and can be cut off so you can do this to 2 of them and put them both in without the carbon attached of there is room. I would just leave it for now though.

*add another bio insert I meant to say. Also you can test again in a couple hours to see if your levels are better. I would say they should be good til tomorrow. Keep the ammonia at .25 or lower and fish should be ok and cycle bacteria will still feed. With the filter inserts sometimes the carbon is attached and can be cut off so you can do this to 2 of them and put them both in without the carbon attached of there is room. I would just leave it for now though.

I bought a pack of 12 replacement filters cuz they were on sale should I try to tale them back and if so will something else work?

Back
Top Bottom