Have a few questions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm still kind of a newbie so am hoping can get some questions answered (sorry if the questions are kind of dumb). Have had my 55 gallon running now for about 4 months, everything has been going good (had an issue with ick, but thanks to the great people on this site I cleared it up :). Anyways on with the questions....How much exactly should I be feeding my fish? & my pleco needs how many wafers? Also how often should I be testing my water? I do 25% water changes every week. I am also a little concerned that I may be over stocked. Currently I have as follows:
1 molly
2 darts
4 tetras (not sure what kind, they are silver and only about an inch)
3 smaller type tetras (I think they were called tiger tetras?)
1 Bala shark (he is only about 2 inches right now)
1 pleco about 5 inches

I realize now that I will be needing to get rid of the shark as they get so big, I also am broken hearted that I will have to get rid of my pleco soon as he is growing so well.:(
Thank you in advance for helping with my dumb questions.

no worries those are good questions to ask!!! when I feed my fish I like to turn off the filter and bubbles so it makes the water still.. and just give em a pinch of food. then when there done turn the filter and air pump back on. your water changes sound good to me! I think someone else will jump in about your pleco and being over stocked. :) happy to help!

shamu said:
I'm still kind of a newbie so am hoping can get some questions answered (sorry if the questions are kind of dumb). Have had my 55 gallon running now for about 4 months, everything has been going good (had an issue with ick, but thanks to the great people on this site I cleared it up :). Anyways on with the questions....How much exactly should I be feeding my fish? & my pleco needs how many wafers? Also how often should I be testing my water? I do 25% water changes every week. I am also a little concerned that I may be over stocked. Currently I have as follows:
1 molly
2 darts
1 pleco about 5 inches

I realize now that I will be needing to get rid of the shark as they get so big, I also am%2

shamu said:
1 molly
2 darts
1 pleco about 5 inches

I realize now that I will be needing to get rid of the shark as they get so big, I also am broken hearted that I will have to get rid of my pleco soon as he is growing so well.:(
Thank you in advance for helping with my dumb questions.

I had a huge post typed out. I don't know what happened to it!

Most feed 6 days a week and fast the last day.
Test once a week until you know the tank is stable then once a month or so is fine or when something looks off like a sick fish.
I would advise 50% PWC weekly to ensure your providing a good environment for your fish.
Can you post pictures of your tetras?
Tetras need schools of their own kind of 6 or more.
The Bala needs a new home now IMO. They are schoolers and require huge tanks of 125g plus.
The pleco is for now if you keep up on the water changes. A couple more inches and IMO he then needs to be rehomed.
As your tank stands now it's not over stocked. As your fish grow it most definitely is.

Thanks for all the great advice. For koikid88 my filter is an aqua tech 30-60.
Mumma.of.two - I will try to post pictures of the tetras have tried taking pictures before and they do not turn out great. Any ideas on finding a new home for the Bala? should I just try to take him to a per store?

yeah lucky my Lfs (non chain) will take fish back no questions asked. for a store credit.

Back
Top Bottom