Help choosing new fish for a 45 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My filter is for fifty gallons so I think it can handle the load, and I do twenty percent changes once or twice a week depending on the readings.

My filter is for fifty gallons so I think it can handle the load, and I do twenty percent changes once or twice a week depending on the readings.

I don't know about that. Filters are rated for outrageously large tanks compared to what they can actually handle properly.

I've had 2 aquaclear 70s on a 38 gallon. They're supposedly good for 70 gallons each.

On a 90 gallon I had 2 aquaclear 110s (110 gallons each) and an Eheim 2217 (about 120 gallons)

What filter specifically is it that you have?

Its an aqueon. I'll have to find the box to give more details.

Okay, its an Aqueon quiet flow 50. Its flow rate is suppose to be 250 gallons per hour.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions! I read rainbows need five of their kind to be happy. Would I be able to do that and get three more danios without overstocking or cramping my shark? And with kribs, are they sensitive to hard water? My water leans to the hard side.

Most fish can adapt to whatever your water is without problems. IMO you could also do 5 rainbowfish with your shark and a couple more danios. Then I'd say your pretty much stocked. Just keep up on your weekly water changes.

So petland does have all of those fish! He said the danios will continue to get more aggressive as they get older, since they are large danios. He suggested I turn them and the gourami to him, which he will credit me for even though I didn't buy them there, and then I can get the rainbows and Kribs! I am to pick them up today :)

You might want to supplement your filtration with another filter. Maybe an Aquaclear 70. Run both the filters with their flow turned down to minimum if it ends up being too much current for the fish but I think it'll be fine.

Don't bother running carbon in your filters. Just stuff them with reticulated foam and biomedia.

Make sure you get a male and a female when you choose the kribs.

Okay, I will def look into more filters. Are you sure I dont need any carbon?

And with the kribs, I will hopefully be able to get a pair. If not I will just get a single one or none at all until I can get one of each

Thanks for the advice!

No you don't have to use carbon but if you want some chemical filtration Purgen works very well and is rechargeable.

Okay, I will def look into more filters. Are you sure I dont need any carbon?

And with the kribs, I will hopefully be able to get a pair. If not I will just get a single one or none at all until I can get one of each

Thanks for the advice!

They almost always have both sexes for sale with Kribs. Just make sure you read up on how to tell the sexes apart. Don't rely on the pet shop employee to be able to tell. Usually big chain store employees know very little.

I believe it is a male, it has more red on the tummy. I only got one, since I didn't want any conflicts in the tank. I took the shark out so the others could get settled and then I'll put him back in. He was kind of chasing the krib around a little, so I'm hoping the krib will get his territory and won't let the shark boss him around, even if he is half the size of the shark.

Oh maybe it's a girl. Looks more like the girl in those pictures. As long as she fends for herself against the shark she will be fine :) They are so cute!
They get about four inches, right? She's super tiny now, about an inch long.

Oh maybe it's a girl. Looks more like the girl in those pictures. As long as she fends for herself against the shark she will be fine :) They are so cute!
They get about four inches, right? She's super tiny now, about an inch long.

Males can get about that size but females are usually a bit smaller around the 3" mark or a touch bigger.

Do you think she will be able to hold her own against my rainbow, since he will get about 6 inches?

Do you think she will be able to hold her own against my rainbow, since he will get about 6 inches?

Over time they should settle down. Just be sure to have some hiding spaces or area's for each to have their own territory.

Here's a pic of both male and female Kribs and notice on females they have very red tummies the same as ram females. Unless you have very young ones. Kribensis - Pelvicachromis pulcher

Over time they should settle down. Just be sure to have some hiding spaces or area's for each to have their own territory.

Yes, I have a cave and then an gator skull, each behind larger decorations and on either side of the tank. I know the shark prefers the skull and the Krib seems to like the cave, since it's darker. Hopefully they will keep to their own corners then :)

Back
Top Bottom