Hex tank build thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a new tank! Well, I don't have it yet but it has been payed for and will be mine as soon as I can pick it up. My car is in the shop about to get a new engine, so going to get it will most likely have to wait until I get it back unless my neighbor will take me to pick it up, which may be necessary anyway seeing as she has a van and I have a sedan. The tank is roughly 2 feet tall and maybe a foot and a half wide according to my boyfriend's estimations. I meant to have him measure it today but I forgot to ask him. He found the tank at a thrift store for $35 and I sent him to pay for it on his way home from work today. But alas, you can't exactly bring a fishtank home with you on a bicycle! The tank has a stand and what looks to be an undergravel filter of some sort. Guess what I will be throwing away! No top, though. I'm wondering how hard it will be to find a glass top for a hex tank. I will start looking once I figure out the measurements of it. Or I might try building a canopy.

So, any thoughts on decorating and stocking it? Based on the guesses of it's dimensions, it could be between 15-35 gallons if it is a standard hex tank. Best guess is the 27 gallon hex. Won't know for sure until I have it or at least see it in person. I just have the crappy pic my bf took with his cell phone. I have black sand and white sand available to use now. I plan on painting some sort of background on it, and I think I will stick with my pattern of painting more of a mural or textured background than a solid colored one. Probably will not plant this tank as it is tall and lighting tall tanks well enough can be a pain.

Will be freshwater. And I will probably move my new crowntail betta in as soon as it is cycled. Depending on size, any ideas for tankmates? Depending on the size again, I think I want some cories. If I can find a nice one and the tank is bigger than 20 gallons or so I may try a single angelfish.

So, give me ideas!
Also, how lucky am I that my boyfriend looks for new tanks for me even though I already have 7 set up and another one still empty?

I really like hex tanks they are soo cool...the only thing I would have trouble with for them would be stocking lol

Bettas aren't really ideal for larger hex tanks since they tend to be rather tall and bettas really need length over depth! a single angel would be a cool tank! maybe a school or two of tetras you give the tank a little pop of color!

as far as decor, something tall will make the tank appear bigger so something like driftwood would be great! you should try and get some very realistic look fake plants if you want any plants at all it may be cool to have kinda a asian biotope set up... is your sand white or natural color? if its actually white then I'd suggest doing black!
an asian/zen themed tank would be cool, you could have a little bridge with some blue marbles going underneath to give the effect of a river! My friend has a bunch of different sized terra cotta pots siliconed into a tower with the backs drilled out, that wouldn't work for an angel but it would for smaller fish!

I really wish I could find a deal like that, Once I did get a 10g for $5 but it didn't come with a stand...

Yeah, I didn't think about the height of the tank for the betta. I'm so used to having rectangular tanks. I might try finding some nice silk plants for it. Hopefully I can find some nice tall ones. I like the Asian theme idea. I was already considering a deep red marbled background. If I go with that idea, and I am feeling particularly artistic, I may paint a dragon on it.

I may end up using it for my platies, actually. Assuming it is around 25-30 gallons, maybe the platies, a small school of cories, and maybe some CPDs if I can find some. Or a single angel and some cories if I can find a nice healthy angel. Which has been nearly impossible around here lately.

I have this in all my betta tanks, Its a tube made of craft mesh that I sewed together! My bettas love resting inside it and craft mesh comes in all colors so you could have it match the theme you chose! It would be great in that tank! I have some silk plants that I tied to the outside of one and my betta also enjoys laying on them to so with one of these you can't go wrong!! even if you decide to leave your betta where he is, you should still make one!
image-662432624.jpg

I have a few more pictures if you would like to see them!

excuse the flaring betta he doesn't like my phone...

I forgot to mention they make great bubble nest holders! he was guarding his bubble nest with his life! Him and one of my other boys sleeps in them!
image-3843383624.jpg

That's pretty cool. I have lots of craft mesh laying around. Would look really cool carpeted in moss...

Hopefully I will be able to go get the tank in the next few days! Come on guys, throw some ideas at me!

Do fish swim around a hex aquarium in a circular motion or do they just go back and forth?

i would say it depends on the swimming patterns of the fish, one of my lfs has a display hex with angels and schooling fish and the schoolers swim in circles around it and the angels swim back and forth

An angelfish is definitely in my plans if the tank is big enough. And if i can find one that looks healthy. My area has had terrible angelfish stock lately. Might order one if i can find a good breeder. My boyfriend found the tank and bought it so I haven't actually seen it yet. I don't think hatchets are a good idea though, at least until I can rig a lid or a canopy. Jumping fish and topless tanks do not mix! Also, I think hatchets would prefer a longer tank for more swim space.

If the tank ends up too small for an angel, maybe I will try to find some multies...

Add rams instead of angels and have a school of Asian rummy nose rasboras

Oooh, good thought! I haven't thought about rams... Mostly because I've never seen them around here. I'm sure my LFS could order some though.

I can't wait to get this tank, order equipment, and stock it! And once again, I've gotta say I love my boyfriend for finding it for me (and encouraging me to go for tank #8). Yeah... Tank number EIGHT. This time last year I had three...

Had a thought last night... If the footprint turns out to be too small for most of the fish I want, I might try making it into a reef... If I can find good deals on the equipment.

That sounds awesome

I know, right? I was thinking I could get a sweet scape with like a tower of rock in the center... Plus my boyfriend got me this tank and the last time we were in the LFS he was drooling over their giant reef tank and asked why we don't have corals in our salty tank (it is puffers, so very much not reef safe.) Since he was so sweet to find me a new tank even though I have enough to make most people's significant others start to panic, I thought it might be nice to do one of the tanks he would really like. Although honestly, he has loved pretty much all the ideas I've had for stocking the tank. He likes watching the fish, and he doesn't have to do any of the work, so pretty much as long as there is something moving around in there he is happy.

Btw I made a thread in the nano reef section on the tank to get input from reefers if you want to check that out.

I'll go take a look at those species now!

Edit - those are some really pretty corals! And they seem pretty basic to care for.

Back
Top Bottom