Just planted....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beamesmar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hardscape done on May 25th. May 26, ran to the not-so-L FS, picked up some plants, and threw them in the tank. Planted this morning.

I got powersand and aqua soil Amazonia in the tank, and my pH keeps moving lower.... down to 5.8 before I topped off the tank with fresh water. That took the pH up to 6.2, but it is beginning to head south again. I have my CO2 set to kick in at 6.7 and shutting off at 6.6, so I won't see that work for a while.

Took some measurements today, and Ammonia is above 4ppm from the Amazonia. 0 Nitrates and 0 Nitrites.

So...

If my CO2 isn't kicking on, will my plants be OK with all the nutrients in the water from the soil? Should I turn my CO2 on manually? I'm worried about growing my BBs if my water is too acidic.

Comments? Suggestions? Words of encouragement?

Thanks!IMG_4834.jpgIMG_4836.jpgIMG_4835.jpg

So that early pH shift is normal. Do not put inhabitants till it stabilizes but it will. Personally I would just start the CO2 but start very gradual, like .5 to 1 bps and then slowly up it till it's where you want it. Your water will buffer with the nutrients in it and the soil, but there isn't enough with new substrate usually.

Just as a note, this is another reason to cycle a tank that is often missed with people focusing on the nitrogen cycle.

Yeah AS Amazonia is crazy at first. But man once it settles, it grows anything. I only have it in a 5.5g I throw bits of plants in there for later. Now it's my Betta tank.

IMG_3872.jpg

Messy, but Betta loves it

I'm not experienced with ADA soils, but I have heard from others that these PH shifts are normal at first, as others said above. I'd just be patient and give it a few days.

And, btw, that is a gorgeous start to your tank. I can't wait to see it fill in.

Back
Top Bottom