Kuhlis and a betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sushisnake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I'm new to aquaria but want to get it right, so I joined. I'm planning on setting up a 40 litre ( 10 gal - I'm Australian) planted,freshwater, tropical tank. I live in tropical Australia so I don't need a heater- more likely to need to give the fish ice cubes when the mercury soars past 100! I'm planning to stock with one male betta, six neon tetras and five kuhli loaches. I adore kuhlis! My filter has 280 litre ( 74 gal ) capacity. Will this work? I'd like to fish in cycle with a loach or two.

Well, the betta probably wont like the current from the filter, because it is so strong for such a small tank. They like water with very little current. Also bettas can be very agressive, or not agressive at all. I would start with the betta and add fish to see how it reacts. The kuhlis should be fine, because they stay on the bottom and are big enough.

Thankyou so much for the advice, not to mention the reassurance about the kuhlis lol! I'll look into getting a gentler filter. Can I use an air stone or will the betta hate it? The kuhlis love them - think it's a roller coaster.

In my experience the bettas tend to not like the airstone, and in a tank of that size they can't really get away from it... But maybe you could try a small one in one corner if the filter is gentle enough. I have found that both tetras and bettas are pretty "clean" fish and don't need a lot of filtration - not extra I should say, but I know nothing about the khuli's besides how groovy they look!

I'm sorry but I think that tank is way too small for the stock you want.

Kuhlies can reach up to 4 inches, the size of your tank would restrict swimming room (even more so with the 5 you want)

The filter size doesn't mean a thing if the fish don't have the room to live IMO.

Scouser said:
I'm sorry but I think that tank is way too small for the stock you want.

Kuhlies can reach up to 4 inches, the size of your tank would restrict swimming room (even more so with the 5 you want)

The filter size doesn't mean a thing if the fish don't have the room to live IMO.

I agree, especially considering kuhlis are kept in groups. A tank twice the size of yours would be ok for them. Otherwise I don't think it's a good idea.
Try looking into pygmy cories for a bottom swimmer, they're super cute!

Thanks everyone. The decision has been taken out of my hands anyway. I was given a red wagtail and sunset platy as a late Christmas present today lol! Time to get the 10 gal going NOW. I'm taking time off from building loach tunnels to text. And I priced bigger tanks today as well!

Back
Top Bottom