Light IncreasingAggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locked word

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have the beginning of this topic in unhealthy fish, but I realize now that the penguin tetras stashing themselves behind the heater aren't sick, but are hiding. I know this because I started out with three, and then added another two to build a school. All of them hide behind the heater but the big jerk penguin who is terrifying everything in my tank - especially his own kind. I notice that the light on my tank seems to increase the aggressive behaviour - far fewer hide when the light is off. I have an eclipse 29 gallon with a double light for plant growth, so it is pretty strong light.

Do fewer hide when the light is out because they feel less conspicuous and therefore safer?

I have coral (mostly occupied by mr. pleco and a cory), a few plants, and a piece of driftwood in the tank. I know that I should be providing more hiding spots, but I don't know what hiding spots would be most effective for fish who live in the top strata of the tank. Bushy tall plants?

Please help, this tetra is causing havoc in my tank, stressing out all the beautiful little white clouds and marble hatchets who he sometimes nips at.....

One final note: the temp of my tank is higher right now because of recent ick problems - could this be aggravating the problem too?

Thanks for all your help.

- J

Back
Top Bottom