Neon tetras schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, two scenarios....your LFS worker is clueless, OR, they just wanted to make a sale.
Leaning towards clueless ;)
Not always their fault.
But you can certainly have another tank fully stocked if you fill out what you have now.
Is two tanks an option for you? Lol

I wish I could afford another tank! I guess I'll start combing Craigslist again...
Honestly I would ADORE two tanks!

Craigslist is an EXCELLENT resource!
I just recently found a 55 gal with stand, hood, and light that I will be using for a saltwater tank for $55.
It can be done! Just make sure you cycle the new tank before swapping some fishes over!

If I can score another tank, is it possible to use some of the water from the existing tank to help with cycling or should I start from zero again?

Water wont do anything. The beneficail bacteria are in the gravel and decorations and filter media. I'm sure someone will give you a link to an article about cycling.

Thanks...I actually did a great job cycling my first tank, I can repeat that again.

Hey there, if you are set on a new tank, buy the filter you are planning on using a week or two before the tank and just let it run in your already stablished tank, maybe some gravel and rocks in there too. That will considerably reduce your cycling time.

Hey there, if you are set on a new tank, buy the filter you are planning on using a week or two before the tank and just let it run in your already stablished tank, maybe some gravel and rocks in there too. That will considerably reduce your cycling time.

That's what I'm talking about! Great idea! Thanks so much!

Agreed. Also, maybe you should rehome some of the other fish in that tank as well. The tank you already have you should just leave to the schooling fish. The platies, angels and pleco should be moved into the tank you are getting (if you have a Petco near you, there is a dollar a gallons sale going on for the next three days and a fifty five gallon is 55$), platies produce a bit too much bioload for a twentynine gal. IMO, also angels have no business in there with all thoes other fish, it is too risky. Serpaes nip, neons can get eaten, and there isn't enough swim room.

Agreed. Also, maybe you should rehome some of the other fish in that tank as well. The tank you already have you should just leave to the schooling fish. The platies, angels and pleco should be moved into the tank you are getting (if you have a Petco near you, there is a dollar a gallons sale going on for the next three days and a fifty five gallon is 55$), platies produce a bit too much bioload for a twentynine gal. IMO, also angels have no business in there with all thoes other fish, it is too risky. Serpaes nip, neons can get eaten, and there isn't enough swim room.

Wow....GREAT info there, thank you! What size tank can I get away with for the second one? I don't have a ton of room (or money for that matter) so I'd like to get one smaller than the one I have (29 gal). Suggestions?

It kills me that Petco didn't tell me accurate info on ANY of my fish. I sure appreciate the advice of people on this site. :banghead:

DrConnie said:
Wow....GREAT info there, thank you! What size tank can I get away with for the second one? I don't have a ton of room (or money for that matter) so I'd like to get one smaller than the one I have (29 gal). Suggestions?

It kills me that Petco didn't tell me accurate info on ANY of my fish. I sure appreciate the advice of people on this site. :banghead:

You didn't ask. so they didn't know what you were homing them with, or your tank size, or what was in there. Its your responsibility to find out requirements beforehand and make a responsible purchase. Don't put all the blame on petco. Everyone always does.

You didn't ask. so they didn't know what you were homing them with, or your tank size, or what was in there. Its your responsibility to find out requirements beforehand and make a responsible purchase. Don't put all the blame on petco. Everyone always does.

Actually I DID ask! Every fish I have purchased I have asked about schooling and agression, gave the size of my tank and showed a list of what I had. I DO blame Petco for hiring highschool kids and not training them. If I hadn't asked, you would be completely correct, but this has been my method (obviously not the best method!) since I started this process.

DrConnie said:

Another 20 - 30 gal would house 2 of the schooling fish.

Well just my 2 cents, those neons you have will become snacks as soon as the angel gets big enough. Thats actually a staple in their diet in the wild so if you are attached to the neons, move them. If not, it can make for a pretty good show lol.
Just kidding of course, unless u are into that kind of thing.......lol.

Just wanted to check in and see how the little guys are doing?

Well, we're down to 2 fish and a snail...the ones that hung in there were the pearl danio and one little glofish, along with the mystery snail. They have been doing great for the past week as I test the water. (finally got API master test kit)
I want to make sure everything is perfect before putting new fish in there. Can I run my numbers by you?

As of today this is what I'm at:

pH 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

What should I be shooting for?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom