Neon tetras schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I truly don't mean disrespect...so please don't be offended...but I hope this is a lesson learned.

I saw your new member thread and I saw multiple people linked you guides on cycling your tank including a guide that I personally wrote. I honestly don't know if you didn't read them, didn't understand them or had an employee of a lfs talk you out of following them.

That said, what's done is done and now it's your responsibility to care for your fish. As far as I'm concerned, waiting till the AM to do water changes is not even remotely an option for fish sitting in a tank with 5ppm no2 IMO.

I implore you to change water immediately (as much as it takes), follow this guide I linked before...and stay on top of your levels and water changes until the tank is stable.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

I take no offense at all...and I did read what you suggested, started that way and then was talked out of it from a LFS employee who swore they knew what they were talking about.
I will do a PWC right now...I feel so stupid for being so trusting.

DrConnie said:
I take no offense at all...and I did read what you suggested, started that way and then was talked out of it from a LFS employee who swore they knew what they were talking about.

It's happened to nearly everyone (even me). No reason to feel stupid, just a lesson to be cautious and do a little research before acting ;)

DrConnie said:

Unfortunately you learned the hard way that lesson #1 is to never listen to the guy at the pet store in 99% of cases.

It's a tough situation...but you can gain knowledge from every experience good or bad...and as bad as this might be right now...you'll be better able to provide a great home for your fish in the future.

BTW...I assume you have a dechlorinator? If so, whatever you have now will work. If you can, try to pick up a bottle of Seachem Prime as soon as possible. Not only will it serve to dechlorinate your water, but it will also temporarily detoxify the nitrIte to buy your fish some time between water changes.

As you've learned...put on the blinders, walk in the store, ignore the employee, grab what you need, pay for it and walk out ;)

Unfortunately you learned the hard way that lesson #1 is to never listen to the guy at the pet store in 99% of cases.

I could say the same thing about listening to people on the internet. Believe it or not, there are ALOT of good LFS out there with knowledgeable employees, so the 99% figure is a bit unfair at the least. I know it's been a catch phrase for you but I beg you to reconsider.

I think there should be a distinction between LFS and chain stores, and yes there are terrible LFS out there, but there are great ones also. Chain stores shouldn't even be considered LFS or categorized with them. People post here when they have problems, its rare for someone to post when things are going well, so using the forum as a basis for LFS' worker aptitude is not exactly accurate.

The piece of fish method actually does work, plenty of people have done it that way, it's just that this is only half of the story. In order to be certain the tank is cycled one would need to test the water.

Another thing that can be done to alleviate nitrite toxicity is to add a little bit of salt to the water. I partially disagree with the 'keep it below X, anything above that is going to harm/kill your fish' stuff, only because it's inaccurate, but I do agree with the end result of keeping it as low as possible.

I could say the same thing about listening to people on the internet. Believe it or not, there are ALOT of good LFS out there with knowledgeable employees, so the 99% figure is a bit unfair at the least. I know it's been a catch phrase for you but I beg you to reconsider.

I think there should be a distinction between LFS and chain stores, and yes there are terrible LFS out there, but there are great ones also. Chain stores shouldn't even be considered LFS or categorized with them. People post here when they have problems, its rare for someone to post when things are going well, so using the forum as a basis for LFS' worker aptitude is not exactly accurate.

The piece of fish method actually does work, plenty of people have done it that way, it's just that this is only half of the story. In order to be certain the tank is cycled one would need to test the water.

Another thing that can be done to alleviate nitrite toxicity is to add a little bit of salt to the water. I partially disagree with the 'keep it below X, anything above that is going to harm/kill your fish' stuff, only because it's inaccurate, but I do agree with the end result of keeping it as low as possible.

Your input is much appreciated. When I was referring to my LFS, I absolutely meant chains...I have a small privately owned saltwater reef store in my area, but have yet to find one that deals with freshwater that is local other than the chains on every corner. I'm sure that there are some employees that do know what they are talking about. My question is this: When you are as clueless as I am, how can I tell who's telling me good info & who's just saying what they have to to make a sale?

I highly and personally suggest that .25 should be your goal. I also agree that aquarium salt can be useful in this situation.

As to the other comments, I'll happily change my phrasing to "virtually all", or "pretty much most of them" if it fits your ear better. The fact through my personal experience of both chains and lfs's from VA to NY that i have visited is that the vast majority of their advice is geared towards business decisions and levels of being uneducated.

Sure, you can find some guy who's owned the store for 20 years who has great knowledge...but that doesn't mean his employees are taught the same, or that his knowledge even extends to the welfare of the fish due to old habits being ingrained in the hobby. I've even talked to employees at both chains and lfs's where they know about...but are not allowed to mention topics like fishless cycles or pwc's during the process.

Every store whether it's a major chain or a mom 'n pop lfs has one purpose...$. I'm in sales, I have a degree in marketing, and I have a pretty good idea of how sucessful businesses both large and small operate (if they want to be successful), that is repeat customers and add ons are a driving part of every business. A store that sells healthy fish, Prime, test kits and a small section for meds is not a successful business.

We have a section on the forum to review general merchandisers and lfs's...I've not seen many positive reviews...and I myself wouldn't be able to give one on any of the stores within 50 miles of where I live.

As for my personal advice on the toxin levels...."the lower the better, shoot for at or below .25". As long as I am a member of this or any other site that will be my advice in situations like this unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Another thing that was missing to readers not actively involved in this thread as it was progressing was that posts were getting stepped on where the actual timing of the conversation was off. It's hard to connect the dots all the time when you're not present to draw them as they happen.

When you are as clueless as I am, how can I tell who's telling me good info & who's just saying what they have to to make a sale?

That's why research is so important. The internet makes this very easy to do, so you can read writeups that have been done and also talk to other hobbyists about it beforehand. It's very important to get multiple opinions because if you rely on one person they could be someone who doesn't even own a fish tank for all you know. There are no qualifications needed to give out advice here so it's best to get a general consensus on things for the sake of accuracy.

eco23 said:
As to the other comments, I'll happily change my phrasing to "virtually all", or "pretty much most of them" if it fits your ear better. The fact through my personal experience of both chains and lfs's from VA to NY that i have visited is that the vast majority of their advice is geared towards business decisions and levels of being uneducated.
It's not about fitting my ear, its about being accurate. Just because they tend to have different methodology does not mean we should advise everyone to ignore them. Heck, most LFS owners have decades of experience on most of us including myself, that's something invaluable that is being shrugged off.

Sure, you can find some guy who's owned the store for 20 years who has great knowledge...but that doesn't mean his employees are taught the same, or that his knowledge even extends to the welfare of the fish due to old habits being ingrained in the hobby. I've even talked to employees at both chains and lfs's where they know about...but are not allowed to mention topics like fishless cycles or pwc's during the process.
There is some misinformation out there, that's for sure, but its rampant in forums as much as it is in fish stores. A good business will have knowledgeable employees, thats the bottom line.

Most people do not buy into fishless cycling, so expecting them to talk to people about it and drive away sales would be silly.

Every store whether it's a major chain or a mom 'n pop lfs has one purpose...$. I'm in sales, I have a degree in marketing, and I have a pretty good idea of how sucessful businesses both large and small operate (if they want to be successful), that is repeat customers and add ons are a driving part of every business. A store that sells healthy fish, Prime, test kits and a small section for meds is not a successful business.
Seriously? There are plenty of successful businesses that sell Prime and healthy fish. Since you are in sales you know that having a good product is the backbone of keeping a business going in the long term. It's true that they make money off of add ons, meds, etc, but I'd have to question the ethics of any business that intentionally sells sick fish with the intention of selling more product.

We have a section on the forum to review general merchandisers and lfs's...I've not seen many positive reviews...and I myself wouldn't be able to give one on any of the stores within 50 miles of where I live.
As i said earlier, people tend to post when they are complaining (i.e. venting) more than they do when they are satisfied, so using the forum for that is a moot point.

I completely agree with you that there are a lot of sub-par LFS out there, but there are good ones as well, at least to my standards. I go out of my way to visit LFS when i am traveling, and I have not been to tons, but I have been to many.

Maybe we should do a thread poll and see what everyone's experience is, I'm geniunely curious.

jetajockey said:
Seriously? There are plenty of successful businesses that sell Prime and healthy fish. Since you are in sales you know that having a good product is the backbone of keeping a business going in the long term. It's true that they make money off of add ons, meds, etc, but I'd have to question the ethics of any business that intentionally sells sick fish with the intention of selling more product.

On that particular statement you either misunderstood or I didn't clearly state my point. My intent was to say a store that ONLY sold those things would be unsuccessful. I think if you asked any experienced hobbyist just like yourself...the things a healthy aquarium needs is a gravel vac, a quality test kit and a bottle of water conditioner. I understand if I didn't make that clear. The point stands though.

I also saw on one of your threads that you planned on fishless cycling...was there something that changed your mind? Maybe bad advice from the LFS?

This suggests that advice against fishless cycling is inherently bad. This is so far off base it's not worth refuting, I thought you knew that.

Your view of business seems gloomy and jaded. I have a healthy respect for competition, but I don't think LFS employees and owners are twisting their beards at night looking for ways to kill their customers fish. And FYI I can think of at least 2 very successful well respected breeders right here on this forum that don't use test kits.

OP: Scope out your LFStores get to know the owners and don't be afraid to ask questions.

On that particular statement you either misunderstood or I didn't clearly state my point. My intent was to say a store that ONLY sold those things would be unsuccessful. I think if you asked any experienced hobbyist just like yourself...the things a healthy aquarium needs is a gravel vac, a quality test kit and a bottle of water conditioner. I understand if I didn't make that clear. The point stands though.
I'd take that one step further and say that the test kit is optional also, unless you are relatively new to the hobby. It can be an invaluable tool to work out a comfortable water change schedule.

roundar said:
This suggests that advice against fishless cycling is inherently bad. This is so far off base it's not worth refuting, I thought you knew that.

Your view of business seems gloomy and jaded. I have a healthy respect for competition, but I don't think LFS employees and owners are twisting their beards at night looking for ways to kill their customers fish. And FYI I can think of at least 2 very successful well respected breeders right here on this forum that don't use test kits.

OP: Scope out your LFStores get to know the owners and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Talking someone out of a fishless cycle halfway through during levels of spiking is bad advice. If you've been hanging around these boards...you should know me a little better than that. I may be known for helping with cycling advice and a certain article...but theres a fair bit more to me than that. Go to the OP's previous threads...read past topics and see where that question came from instead of trying to pick apart every statement that is made. It contributes much more to the conversation to be involved and give advise rather than trying to refute that of others.

Last edited:
My contribution to this thread is trying to present different views and clear up misinformation. Stopping someone from fishless cycling is not evil. (< )

As far as picking apart your posts, I wasn't but maybe I should:

.5 nitrIte is a dangerously high value, and you should keep changing water until it is below .25.

Please, please release any science you have to back that up. Studies have been done and nitrite toxicity varies wildly from .1 - 1.6ppm* (and that's just in smaller fish.) Obviously the goal is to bring it as low as reasonably possible, but it's so important that we try to stick with the facts.

*Ecology of The Planted Tank - D. Walstad (Who references the information further. And I have no doubt we could find more information pretty quickly.)

roundar said:
My contribution to this thread is trying to present different views and clear up misinformation. Stopping someone from fishless cycling is not evil. (< )

As far as picking apart your posts, I wasn't but maybe I should:

Please, please release any science you have to back that up. Studies have been done and nitrite toxicity varies wildly from .1 - 1.6ppm* (and that's just in smaller fish.) Obviously the goal is to bring it as low as reasonably possible, but it's so important that we try to stick w/ the facts.

*Ecology of The Planted Tank - D. Walstad (Who references the information further.

You have me there. That was a typo and the period was at the end of the previous sentence and not intended to be at the beginning of that one. If you read any further back in the thread instead of simply looking at my posts...you will see that the OP's level was 5, not .5. It was mentioned numerous times and should have been obvious to anybody who was reading the thread and following the events (as well as trying to help) as opposed to simply reading through looking for errors. So, you've got me on a typo...now I ask you read back through the entire conversation and learn what the actual situation was and why the advice stated was given.

Yep stick with the water changes. Get a python/aqueon/lees water changer, it makes water changes a snap. Your immediate goals at this point are
1) Get the ammonia/nitrites down to minimal.
2) Keep ammonia/nitrites down to minimal.

The reason is because these toxins can and will hurt/kill the fish. Keeping them minimized as much as possible will reduce the chance of that happening, but keep in mind that these toxins are continually rising, so they should be checked frequently and WC's done as needed. Once the biofilter has established it will get rid of them for you, it looks like its already converting the ammonia so you are well on you rway.

Back
Top Bottom