Neon tetras schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The angelfish might eat the smaller fish when it gets big. Do you have a pic of your mystery fish by any chance?

Thanks, but you missed the part in the thread where all my fish committed mass suicide...There are only 2 left :( Both are identified.

Wow, is that after the pwc? Ammonia is good and nitrate, nitrites might be high though for the fish. You're doing a lot of work though, keep it up, your fish will thank you! :)

Yep, that after the water changes. I'll be doing another PWC tonight- I needed a break! I'm trying hard to get the Nitrites down...frustrating to say the least!

Yep stick with the water changes. Get a python/aqueon/lees water changer, it makes water changes a snap. Your immediate goals at this point are
1) Get the ammonia/nitrites down to minimal.
2) Keep ammonia/nitrites down to minimal.

The reason is because these toxins can and will hurt/kill the fish. Keeping them minimized as much as possible will reduce the chance of that happening, but keep in mind that these toxins are continually rising, so they should be checked frequently and WC's done as needed. Once the biofilter has established it will get rid of them for you, it looks like its already converting the ammonia so you are well on you rway.

I think I can , I think I can....

Another PWC done just now...

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite .5

We're getting closer!! My poor fish are wondering WTH is going on!
Once I get the Nitrites down to 0, how long before I should start
S-L-O-W-L-Y introducing new fish?

Another PWC done just now...

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite .5

We're getting closer!! My poor fish are wondering WTH is going on!
Once I get the Nitrites down to 0, how long before I should start
S-L-O-W-L-Y introducing new fish?

Great job!! (y)

As for new fish, I'd wait a while until this tank is fully cycled. Getting ammonia and nitrites down to 0 through water changes doesn't count. ;) Eventually the tank will keep them at 0 on its own, which means it's cycled. So I'd wait until you are getting double zero's for at least 1-2 weeks consecutively before adding new fish.

Great job!! (y)

As for new fish, I'd wait a while until this tank is fully cycled. Getting ammonia and nitrites down to 0 through water changes doesn't count. ;) Eventually the tank will keep them at 0 on its own, which means it's cycled. So I'd wait until you are getting double zero's for at least 1-2 weeks consecutively before adding new fish.

Excellent...that's about what I was thinking.
You think another PWC is in order now that I'm at .5 for Nitrites?

DrConnie said:
Excellent...that's about what I was thinking.
You think another PWC is in order now that I'm at .5 for Nitrites?

What type of dechlorinator are you using? If you picked up some Prime, that will help to neutralize the nitrIte. There's not a ton of difference between .25-.5, personally I'd do another water change because there's the potential it will rapidly climb back up...but that's just me.

What type of dechlorinator are you using? If you picked up some Prime, that will help to neutralize the nitrIte. There's not a ton of difference between .25-.5, personally I'd do another water change because there's the potential it will rapidly climb back up...but that's just me.

Ordered some prime on ebay for a goodish price, but don't have anything else. I do have aquarium salt too...I never know how much to add with a PWC?

DrConnie said:
Ordered some prime on ebay for a goodish price, but don't have anything else. I do have aquarium salt too...I never know how much to add with a PWC?

The salt I don't know the answer to. I've heard it should be added slowly, working up to the recommended dose... but I'm not sure if thats true... definitely worth some further research.

It doesn't take much salt, I don't have the articles in front of me at the moment but it is a very very minute amount to counter the effects of nitrite toxicity.

What were the nitrites at prior to the WC's?

Personally I'm a fan of adding some easy low light plants. They will also help keep your tank chemistry balanced.

Java Ferns (tie to a piece of driftwood or rock), Moss Balls, etc....

My tanks cycle super fast with plants in them. YMMV

It doesn't take much salt, I don't have the articles in front of me at the moment but it is a very very minute amount to counter the effects of nitrite toxicity.

What were the nitrites at prior to the WC's?

3 days ago Nitrites were at 5!

Thanks, but you missed the part in the thread where all my fish committed mass suicide...There are only 2 left :( Both are identified.

Hey, sorry Connie I realized that after I posted. Stinks about the current situation but seems like you got it under control. Where are you from "upstate"? Just wondering if anywheres near me

Hey, sorry Connie I realized that after I posted. Stinks about the current situation but seems like you got it under control. Where are you from "upstate"? Just wondering if anywheres near me

No worries...what's done is done...hopefully no more situations like this! I certainly do hope it's under control. (as I sit here gearing up for yet another PWC!)
I'm in Rochester, where are you?

Near Rome. I have few friends out that way... Good luck with that, water changes are so frustrating for me cause I have to transport it every time I want to. Need to again sometime this weekend I guess

Near Rome. I have few friends out that way... Good luck with that, water changes are so frustrating for me cause I have to transport it every time I want to. Need to again sometime this weekend I guess

Still have more changes in my near future...killing me!! :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom