New 55 Gallon and not sure what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwnme

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hola all.

I'm a new member here. I have a large amount of aquarium experience over the years. Currently have a Tanganyikan tank and a nano-reef for fun. Just found a 55/60 gallon on Craigslist. Pretty sure its 60. Looked too tall for a 55 gallon. It was $100 with lighting, stand, filter.

I'm going to retrofit PC lighting into the stock hoods because it's that woodgrain look and I don't want to see that center brace up top so it'll look stock, but packing some light.

Here's my main problem... lack of creativity.

I want a planted tank, and I want a biotope tank. I'm thinking an Amazon type of tank.

Question time...
1. What are some good fish for this? I want a schooling group of fish... most likely tetras. Probably Corydoras. But I need some centerpiece fish. Something that grows a little larger. But I don't want Angels.

2. What at the species of plants I should look at and how light demanding? If I don't have to retrofit lighting I'd like not to. I know swords are obviously there.

3. C02 going to be required for the plants? I see a few of the biotopes down there are darker due to cloudy water.

4. Are Discus out of the question for me? I don't want daily water changes. Weekly are fine. But I hear about some crazy requirements for them.

Hopefully someone that has experience with this comes along. Thanks!

Fish wise there are so many but I'd probably go for something that's not as common. The problem is finding something that will fit in a 55-60 gallon tank. All of these questions can be found on Google with a lot of research Haha now I'm thinking about doing it. This could be so cool :)

I like these festivum because they stay some what small compared to some of the other cool fish.

I found this site for you to get ya started our on some research
http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/SAFishArt.html

For some of the other questions including plants are listed on this page. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquarium/amazon.php

Discus I love but to much work for me aswell so I'd stay away.from them if it was me

Last edited:
Awesome answer Andrew. I felt like with the old school wood trim on the tank, a planted tank would be excellent.

The festivum was a good choice. Gonna have to do a ton on compatibility. The tank is going to be one where I compile the equipment over time in order to get the best of the best.

More opinions are welcome. I was hoping for a centerpiece fish something that grows to the neighborhood of 6"

Also I doubt many have done this... but will the PC generate a ton more heat than the stock lights. They are the typical florescent lights. Will Co2 be needed? is 2 watts of PC light going to be enough?

I'm going to be reading those links above... awesome information.

Back
Top Bottom