New 90G tank. feedback appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankoQ

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,
I'm in the process of setting up a used 90G tank.
got a good deal on it including the base and fluorescent lights.

The stand needed some work so I went ahead and stripped it, sanded it, and re-stained it. Here is the final product.

img_2687779_0_fc56f3a116dc933ab15b4568a7a8025d.jpg

and here is where the tank will be in my basement.
img_2687779_1_586ccfc6918c922f496776c41505813d.jpg

I currently have a 10G tank with 2 clown loaches and 2 Angelicus Botias.
They will all move to this tank.

Looking for ideas for middle tank swimming fish to add.
A couple of Plecos (the ones that stay under 10 inches).
I'll probably add more clown loaches.

What else to stock this tank?

I scrubbed the inside of the tank with white vinegar.
I will do the fishless cycle so I hope to get this set up done by Xmas.
I have a Fluval Fx5 for filter.

What am I missing?

Thanks. Lots of good advice in this forum. (y)

Ill be setting up a 90 soon-ish, so I'm just going to follow along and learn.

In a side note: don't Clown Loaches grow to around 12 inches?

It takes a while for clowns to grow over 10 inches.
A friend has about 8 that are about 5 year old and they are all under 6-8 inches. he has a 300g tank.

I was referring to plecos that do not grow over 10 inches. I have my eye set on the black one with yellow dots(forgot the name).

I'm now looking for pool filter sand for substrate. I keep reading that it is safe for the fish and cheap (great combination!).

undecided about live plants but will add some drift wood and rocks for hiding places for the fishy.

The Pleco you are referring to is a starlight Pleco and for more Pleco ideas I really like gold nugget plecos. For the middle swimmers I think that a school of about 15-20 red eye tetras would look great ! Other tetras that could work are emporers, penguin, rummy nose, cardinals, lemon, phantom, black skirts, and maybe even serpae tetras depending on what else you would like to stock your tank with.

Tiger barbs are really active swimmers exoecially when schooled theyre neat to watch...back and fourt and back and fourth Lol..IMO I would turn it into a cichlid tank! Lol

Tiger barbs are really active swimmers exoecially when schooled theyre neat to watch...back and fourt and back and fourth Lol..IMO I would turn it into a cichlid tank! Lol

Cichlids are great, but I actually like the barb idea. A large school would look awesome and I totally back you on it. You see more cichlid setup a than schooling fish setups so I say go for it!

Thanks for the feedback so far.
My son has his "wish list" of fish to add:
- 2 bala shark
- 1 Red tail shark or 1 rainbow shark

I'm sure I will have at least 6 clown loaches and a couple of gold nugget plecos.

Will the sharks be ok with tetras or any group of 10 schooling fish?

I had a bala with my tetras..never even looked at then..not sure about the rainbows..

Thanks for the comment.

Got the Ace Ammonia.
having a hard time finding Filter Pool Sand.
Lowes and Home depot do not have any.
Found it at the Pool supply store but at $15 per 50lb bag. :eek:
Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get it.

$15/50lb is about average.

that sounds better. I thought I saw someone saying it was about $6 for 50lb.
Anyhow, I got 2 bags.
I got some pics of stones for background and sent them to COSTCO for 20x30 prints. 2 of those will do for my tank.
I think I'm all set to start the cycling process!

I got my pool filter sand for 6.50 a bag at Lowes..make sure you rinse it really well! About 2 gal at a time in a 5 gallon bucket. The less you rinse at a time the cleaner it will be

I got my pool filter sand for 6.50 a bag at Lowes..make sure you rinse it really well! About 2 gal at a time in a 5 gallon bucket. The less you rinse at a time the cleaner it will be

Yup. I tried but both lowes and home depot did not have any.
anyway, thanks for the advice. I got 3 5gal buckets to clean the sand.

On a sad note, RIP to one of my clown loaches in my 10 gal tank.
he was fighting ick and did not make it. :bawl:

Sorry for your loss :( maybe it was SK cheap by me BC I'm in sw Florida and everyone needs pool filter sand? Lol

I've checked every home improvement store in my area and none of them have anything by play sand. I happened to buy my pfs at a pool supply shop in my little town where everything is overpriced. The few extra dollars I spent there was well worth it by time you figure how much it would have cost me in gas to drive to a larger town.

I've checked every home improvement store in my area and none of them have anything by play sand. I happened to buy my pfs at a pool supply shop in my little town where everything is overpriced. The few extra dollars I spent there was well worth it by time you figure how much it would have cost me in gas to drive to a larger town.

pool filter sand is the best..no clouding (if you clean it good). it sinks right to the bottom..and if/when the sand is sturred is still doesnt cloud the water!

Amazon delivered fast. I got all the goodies to start cycling.
Costco too. here is the background.

img_2692135_0_79735ef71b744f6082ae49c6ce0cee30.jpg

img_2692135_1_8fb5b53fc9b08ba863402ca7a4a92b37.jpg

nice! thats gonna look sweet! i cant wait to see it all set up...im thinking of redoing my tank tonight..my wifes working an overnight so i can make a biiiiig mess with no consequences!

Back
Top Bottom