New 90G tank. feedback appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like my cycle is not done.
for the past 2 days, Nitrites are still present. Ammo goes to about .25 within 24h.
And Nitrates are about 40. I keep doing 50% water changes to keep nitrates at around 20.
I keep dosing ammonia to about 4.0

Cycle in progress:
1- clear hose works great for water changes
2- siphoning water maually
3- clear hose connected to the FX5
4- filling up
5- daily testing

img_2722559_0_4e2caac00c9b5cb2bc862d0b9e476363.jpg

Can someone let me know if this seems ok or an issue:
For the past 5 days:
- Ammonia drops to 0.5 or 0.0
- Nitrites: one day is 5.0 another 1.0 then 5.0 then 1.0
- Nitrates: seem to go from 40 to 160
- PH: stays about 7.0 and 7.6

I do 1 or 2 daily 50% water changes to bring down Nitrates.
At the end of the night, I dose Ammo to 4.0 and Nitrates are about 20.
when I fill up the tank, I add prime, wait about 15 minutes and then add the ammo.

Any issues with these numbers? Or am I just still in the cycle process?

Wait till nitrites are at 0..remember ammonia nitrite nitrate is how the process goes..so when you dose the ammomia back up its making more nitrites..if its eatimg 5ppm of ammonia very quickly I woild stop dosing ammonia and let your levels evem out and check them in a day or 2

Today is the first day my readings are:
ammonia: 0.0
Nitrites: 0.0
Nitrates: 40
PH: 6.6

I will add ammonia to get back to 4.0 and wait a day to see if I get the same readings again.

On a side note, I went to the local landscaping place and found slate at $0.25 per pound. WOW! Beats the LFS which had it at $3 per pound.
Got me about 70 pounds. :)

Today is the first day my readings are:
PH: 6.6

I will add ammonia to get back to 4.0 and wait a day to see if I get the same readings again.

On a side note, I went to the local landscaping place and found slate at $0.25 per pound. WOW! Beats the LFS which had it at $3 per pound.
Got me about 70 pounds. :)

Nice! Make sure you clean it good! If your readings are good then your all cycled and ready to go!

second day in a row I get these readings:
PH: 6.8

Just to be triple sure, I will wait until tomorrow to see if I get the same.
But it looks like my cycle is done!!!

Third day in a row I get these readings:
Nitrates: 160
PH: 6.4

I think the cycle is done, yes?
Nitrates super high but will do a 50% water change now to lower them.
PH low, but water change and a bag of crushed coral might help.

Your all cycled! Get them fish in! (And the pH up) Lol a water change should bring it up as well..my water comes out over 8.0 pH lol

Your all cycled! Get them fish in! (And the pH up) Lol a water change should bring it up as well..my water comes out over 8.0 pH lol

Whoohoo! :dance:

Just finished adding rocks and rearranging the tank decorations.
I'll wait until tomorrow to see the readings for PH and Nitrates.
If all good, fishies go in thursday!!!

now that I'm cycled, I'm checking for hardness and my tank water is not too hard.
PH is about 7.2 and GH/KH is about 5.
I added 2 bags of crushed coral (2 cups total) and will test again today.
should I use the Malawi buffer?

I have about 10lb of crushed coral. Can I just dump that in my tank and mix it with the pool sand?
Also thinking on adding some limestone or Texas Holey rocks to try to raise PH.

Thoughts?

Nice! Go get em!!

Thanks. Hey Evo, what's your stock in your Malawi tank.
I'm finding out I will need to visit like 2LFS and 2 Petsmarts to find some of the fish I want.
Now I'm dealing with non in stock fish. :ermm:

trying to avoid having to order online.

I have about 7-10 Malawi's a few mixed Africans.. Two blue gouramis. A firemouth (rescue) synnodonis catfish..suckerfish..hmm..2 chocolate cichlids..

Went fish shopping today.
Here they are getting acclimated in the tank:
img_2730481_0_c839ae59cd06ec738331d15600d7439e.jpg

Here they are all together having fun in their new home:
img_2730481_1_77061d68dc3b93b96313d71fef41599a.jpg

I don't know who told you clown loaches would be a good fit for that tank, but they're not.
Clown loaches can reach 10-12" and that tank isn't big enough for them. Plus they need very strong current, tonnes of surface agitation and very high oxygen levels. At least you have a sand bottom.

I would urge you to return the clown loaches, take your pick of synodontis catfish, and go with that instead. Feed the catfish at night so the cichlids don't steal it's food. Synodontis Petricola are cute, small, don't produce a lot of waste.

I don't know who told you clown loaches would be a good fit for that tank, but they're not.
Clown loaches can reach 10-12" and that tank isn't big enough for them. Plus they need very strong current, tonnes of surface agitation and very high oxygen levels. At least you have a sand bottom.

I would urge you to return the clown loaches, take your pick of synodontis catfish, and go with that instead. Feed the catfish at night so the cichlids don't steal it's food. Synodontis Petricola are cute, small, don't produce a lot of waste.

I heard that before but wanted to try. also:
My friend's clowns are 12 years old and still 6 inches long. (in a 300g tank)
If they get too big (not in near future), that will be my excuse to get a bigger tank! :)
I have power heads and air pump.
So far, they eat together with the cichlids (pellets and veggies).
At least for now, no one is bothering the clowns.
My red tail has a tendency of chasing after the cychilds after bfast.
Then they all just swim together.

I'm keeping an eye on all the stock to make sure they are ok and getting along. If things change, I will take corrective action.

Back
Top Bottom