New aquarium bubbles everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamo83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I got my first aquarium going yesterday. Put the plants in today and added the water but noticed a lot of bubbles forming - sticking to everything but mostly on the plants and the outlet of the filter.

I haven't started a cycle yet. Is this something that will go away or is this a problem. I don't want to start the cycle until I know what it is.
DSC00004.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

Welcome to AA!

When you add fresh water, because of all the splashing that occurs a lot of oxygen gets into the water. What you're seeing is a result of all that oxygenation. As the water warms up and mixes with the filter it'll go away.

If it really bugs you, just run your hand and wipe them off the tank and equipment, allow them to float to the surface and you'll be all set.

It's normal to get a little bit of this at every water change as well.

Welcome to AA :)

Neilan has you covered. It can also make you look closely at your fish after a water change because you'll freak and think they have ich the first few times... All completely normal. I think it also has something to do with the pressure the water is under in the pipes... :)

Thanks, I was a little worried that i'd spent a whole heap of money and my water conditions were going to mean that I, and the fish were forever going to be troubled by bubbles - I couldn't keep my hands out of the water for 5 minutes trying to get rid of them, I did 2 100% water changes, the first two were also cloudy - 'pre-washed' gravel it said on the packet - i've learnt my lesson!
It's already much better this morning.
@taylordw - almost correct, I have vals and annubias and some artifical swords which I will replace with real swords, I want to add in a crypt in front of the vals - on the rocks, lfs didn't have any.

The vals have lost a lot of their green at the tops, some are brown but most are a yellow-green colour, can they be recovered or are they dead? I have fed them with API leaf zone and have been keeping the light on 12 hours a day.

I will start my cycle this evening :D

seems normal

i had the same thing with my two tanks when i started, it all seems to go away very quickly, so dont seem to worried, make sure you added a declorinator into the water and a heavy metal remover. otherwise even after your fishless cycle you still might have a few fish deaths. at least thats what ive done and havent had any fish deaths from it. feel free anyone who's very experienced to correct me if im wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom