New tank with sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaya10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I wanted to know what you guys think about sponge filters. I have a 70 liter long planted tank which I am cycling and I decided to put a sponge filter in because as I understand it is a rather good bio filter and it is cheap. Also, I intend initially to only keep 2-3 dwarf gouramis in the tank with the intention of breeding them. There will not be any other fish in the tank so the waste load will be rather low for this size aquarium and sponge filters also suit the gouramis with regard to their nest building. Do you think a sponge filter would be enough for this set up or do I need more filtration?

Would appreciate you opinions

Cheers

Hi

Yup, sorry for posting in the wrong forum and thanks for your reply

I like sponge filters, too--they're especially great if you have shrimp or if you have fish who don't like the current that comes from other filters.

I have both an AquaClear hang-on-back filter and a sponge filter in my 28-gallon tank, (that's overkill, I know) but if I ever need to set up a quarantine or hospital tank quickly, I'll just move the sponge filter into a small tank--and it's instantly cycled!

Back
Top Bottom