Nitrogen cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beginer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in 2 weeks of cycle fully loaded of fishes .. hehehe... including delicated one like angles, neon tetras. ...but so far I haven't lost any one yet.
I have many plants in my tank.

What is your ammonia and nitrie readings. I am sure the plants are helping you out.

Hi,
I'm using AP test kit, just brought... The ammonia reading was 7+ ppm but zero for nitrite....fishes breath normally. Feeding one a day.
I added a few ml of product called "Cycle" everyday.
I change 20% water every 3 days but the ammonia reading still too high.
I'm afraid I'm losing some fishes.

With an ammonia reading that high, I'm amazed they aren't all dead. You may have to take more drastic measures than 20% water changes to keep the rest of the fish alive. I'd say 50% changes will be needed to dilute the ammonia enough to make a difference. I'm sure someone will pop up and say that will lengthen the cycle so I will go ahead and state that the fishes lives are more important...JMHO. I think you made a mistake by starting with angels and neons, but you may still be able to save them and cycle the tank. If you can get them past the nitrite spike, they'll probably be OK. Keep us posted. Can you send some tank pics? What size tank is it and how many fish do you have?
Logan J

Hi loganj,

I think the test kit (Aquarium Pharmaceutical) reading both Nh3(ammonia) and Nh4(ammonium, less toxic). It's amazing that the fishes breath normaly.
Can't post picture because I don't have scaner.
30 g and up to 30 inches of fishes excluding tails.

30 g and up to 30 inches of fishes excluding tails.

Problem is there is no room for growth. As fish grow they will produce more waste. Thus having more impact on the biofilter. Usually when fish capacity is calculated the 'adult' size of the fish is used.

With an ammonia level that high I would indeed perform a 50% water change. Discontinue all feedings for a period of 3 or more days. Possibly even do another 50% water change after a few days.

When doing water changes try to get the water as close to tank temperature as possible and dont forget to add your declorinator.

fishfreek said:
Problem is there is no room for growth. As fish grow they will produce more waste. Thus having more impact on the biofilter. Usually when fish capacity is calculated the 'adult' size of the fish is used.

Absolutely. I agree. What is your pH level? You will either have ammonia or ammonium depending on your pH. I would think, if it's a new kit, that the ammonia test results would be valid. Have you added anything to bind the ammonia such as Ammo Lock? If so, the results from a test that uses nessler reagents will not be accurate. I would, if the LFS will go along with you, return about 1/2 of the fish...at least until the tank cycles. Then I would evaluate the bio load and go from there. JMHO.
Logan J

What size tank is it??? And what kind of fishes???
I am still cycling also...with fish....but ammo still high. Fixing to do a PWC about 40%.

Write me maybe we can help each other. I shoulda got a 20 gal. I plan on it when I get the extra cash.

nurse lady :p

Hi,
I used Ammo-lock when changed water.
Now I run out of Ammo-lock, use Muti-purpose water conditioner from Big Al's store.
pH = 7.6

I used Ammo-lock when changed water.

bingo. thats why your ammonia readings are so high and your fish are showing no signs. ammolock does not remove ammonia from the tank it simply converts it from the toxic to the non-toxic form. On most inexpensive test kits that test for both as logan said. The only way to be able to get a true test now would be to discontinue ammo-lock and perform a series of waterchanges to diloute it out of the solution.

I think Ammo-lock converts NH3 to NH4, if still some left behind...taken up by plants ...whenever I see them breath heavily I do 50% water change right away.

I've just lost a catfish....hehehe..saw green-dark under his belly..not sure due to Nh3 thing or not enough O2 (I'm using Hagen CO2) because this fish is not active and stay around at the bottom. Other fishes (neons, angles, mollies, barbs, guppies, a SAE and a betta) look fine.

not to be mean to you but did you buy your fish at Wal Mart?... No responsible dealer would have sold you so many delicate fish to start your aquarium with .. it makes me sad to think about it .. i started a bigger tank and started it with barbs then added my other more sensitive fish and a lot of gravel and water from the old aquarium and i have about an inch of fish per 3.5 gal of water and i am still neurotic about how they are doing and checking them all day long and all night too.Remember they are life forms and you are killing them .. i feel so sorry for the poor fishes and mad at the irresponsible dealer that sold them to you .. my dealer wouldn't even think of selling me a little tinny angel to keep in my old tank till this one is all ready.

Back
Top Bottom