Not wanting to overstock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ficklewinds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 gallon bowfront that is just about cycled. It'll be planted and would have been already if the site I bought them from had been honest on shipping times. I'm hoping by this weekend it's fish adding time!

This is what I'm looking at at the moment:

AquStockImage.php

I'm going to start with the tetras and add the others over the next month or two.

Would I have room at a later date, assuming all goes well, to add maybe a Gourami and a killifish for some color? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

I have my heart set on rainbowfish, but I'm flexible on the rest and the type of rainbow honestly! I feel like with the above I won't have anything super colorful that'll pop out. Someone suggested a German Blue Ram, but after researching, I'm not sure I can make it fit. As for the tetras, I really want Congo Tetras, but I keep getting mixed suggestions on tank size. AQadvisor says they won't work, but other sites say they will. The pics of the diamond ones look amazing though...

My filter situation is currently: A Sun-Sun 303b canister and one Cascade 200 HOB on the back. My budget on the canister was pretty small and so far it's worked fine. I hope it stays that way. I may do away with the HOB, but right now, it's not hurting anything and is pretty darn quiet.

Opinions welcome!

If you can, look at the smaller species of Rainbows. I keep Threadfins. My friend has Dwarf Neon Rainbows.

The bigger ones need LOTS of swimming room.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would add about half your fish to start and go from there. Ditto on the larger rainbows needing more space. The threadfins ate very cute. The blue eyed rainbows are nice too.

Threadfin rainbows do look really interesting. I love the fin look. Hindsight is so awesome..... I knew I should have took up the offer I got for the 75 gallon setup a friend was selling. It really wouldn't have been much bigger than the setup I have now. That's what I get for listening to my husband! :lol:

So should I add the tetras then with the rainbows at the same time, or the corys? Is that what you mean by half?

Just remember that Threadfins have tiny mouths and really tiny throats. So I always crush up a portion of my micro pellets and flake food to make sure they get some food. I also feed frozen baby brine shrimp and frozen cyclops

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom