Oscar(s), Pictus, and Bichir(s) oh my

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoveriegnR

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so this is something that's been buzzin' around my head for awhile and I'm genuinely curious about these answers.

Normally when I start thinking about what kind of fish I want and what can go in with them, I look them all up in different tabs/windows and compare things such as where they originated from, their pH (yes I know mostly doesn't matter unless you're going to breed), preferred water temp, etc. When I find fish that match up, I then usually go into "OK well what's their temperament like?" etc.

So here I am, I'm browsin' around the web, thinkin' about the future giant fish tank I want and the fish I eventually want to keep.

Well, when I was younger, my dad had 2 Oscars, and we also had a Pictus Catfish (no not in the same tank and definitely not in appropriately sized tanks). But never the less, I fell in love with them and their personalities. I knew in the future I'd want these fish. I also, about a year back, fell in love with Bichirs. OMG those sexy noodle fish, I need them!

So that got me thinking: Well, I could do 3 separate tanks, but... I wonder if they'd be compatible to be in one.. really... large tank.

So there it is. Oscars, a school of Pictus catfish, and bichirs. All in one big ol' tank. Yes or no? Why?

I know Oscars can be ornery fish, and they'll gobble anything that can fit in their mouths, same goes for the Bichirs and the Pictus... in terms of munching on whatever they can.

But in general it seems Bichirs are fairly docile, and although Pictus are like kids on a candy rampage, with a big enough tank I wonder if their.... energetic nature will be glossed over by the the other two more... calm swimmers.

All 3 fish though, get fairly big. Now granted out of the 3, the pictus are the smallest, but they're super fast and because of their barbs... prooooobably not going to be very fun to eat.

If it could work, how would you add them? I doubt one would ever be able to find all 3 species at the same time close in size enough to where they won't look at the other as food... so which would you add first to allow to grow? Or would you try to find more... adult fish to combat this?

If doable, I was thinking about adding the Pictus first. Both Oscars and Bichirs that are normally sold are far too large for even a full grown pictus to eat I would think. So let the pictus grow out first in the tank? Then maybe add the Bichirs? Or maybe both Bichirs and Oscars at the same time?

This is a tank for.... like... far down the line... but this kind of information is something I'll remember for when the time comes. This future house will either be a house we get built to our terms, or one we buy and remodel. My idea for placement of such a huge tank if possible is, I plan to have a very open-style house in terms of the kitchen/living room, so a wall will not separate the 2, however..... a niiiice big fish tank coouuuld. I'm talkin' like... a 1k gallon fish tank plus... lol dis ganna be a biiiig tank. Especially cus I kind of want like a school of like... friggin 12 pictus catfish omg I love those guys.

Probably the Ornate Bichir (Polypterus ornatipinnis) most likely.

Just had to look that up and since it is such a large fish I didn't know the size. 2 feet or 69 cm. LA recommends 180G tank. Wow! Beautiful fish though. Still don't think the Oscar would leave it alone and would bully it.

The catfish is probably a no for sure.

Back
Top Bottom