Overstocking 5 gal betta tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erinnh.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey my name is erinn... New to the forum thing i have a 29 gallon community tank. And 75 african cichlid (mbunas). I was recently thinking of getting a 5 gallon betta tank. So i was thinking one male betta halfmoon preferably 4 neon tetras and 1 marimo ball and 1 or 2 cherry shrimp. I just want the future betta to be happy. I usually get all my supplies and fish from mom and pop aquarium stores, but after watching some horrible videos on youtube about petsmart and petco betta care. Im on a mission to save at least one. I would love the advice thanks?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think that would be too many fish for a 5 gallon to handle, and bettas generally do well as solitary fish anyway. Also, I remember hearing that bettas will eat cherry shrimp. I'm not sure if that's true, you may have to do more research. I'm sorry if this sounds too negative, I'm just trying to prevent any problems.

No thank you thats why i asked. Ive done some reasearch and you know everyone has different experiences. I've never had a betta so thats why im making sure i dont make a mistake. And my whole purpose of getting one is to make sure its very happy and health. Thank you

?

Be wary putting any fish besides corydoras with a Betta. I've heard of people having luck with corydoras with them. It's something about they don't like the bright colors so most fish would likely get attacked. Remember, betta fight competitions happen! they look gentle but can be a warrior when they don't like something in their home.

I have 2 ADF and ghost shrimp with my Betta in a 10 gallon. ADF are not brightly colored so he leaves them alone. I've heard of bettas eating RCS but my ghosts are fine with him.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the advice ?

In a 5g I would do a Betta and Ghost Shrimp.
Cherry Shrimp would be lunch.
A 5g is too small for Cories and some Bettas will kill any tank mates, esp in small tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A little update my male betta aka cherrio is in his new home with his buddy mr.snail ?

I did put 5 zebra danios in his tank with him for a day just to monitor them before putting in my community 29 gallon. He really didnt seem to be bothered by them but i definitely think that it would not make a good perminet home for them.

I mean even if the tank was upgraded it still wouldnt work they move so fast and swim around the whole tank. I think they just disrupt the whole laid back atmosphere

You're clearly a thoughtful observer!

In a 5 I'd leave the betta alone. A 5 probably only has 4 gallons or less of actual water.

Our local mom and pop always keeps bettas in 10-20 gallon community tanks with a huge range of species. They say about 80% of bettas are non aggressive toward the tank mates.

But yeah danios need big big tanks, bettas don't love cramped quarters with schoolers, and 5 gallons is teeny.

My bettas tend to bite snails too, nerites usually survive as they're more covered.

*maybe* a few Otos of a small variety after the tank is matured and only if there are floating plants.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thank you :) yea the danios are happy in my big tank and my betta is comfortable with the snail. Thanks for the advice trennamw:)

Back
Top Bottom