Platies Vs. Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. So how do you know whether its considered high or long? I'm sorry for being a newbie... I don't know a lot of these terms.

NatureFish
????

It's not very tall and its pretty big so I'm assuming it would be called a 29 gallon long. Since I have the 20 gallons and then the extra nine wouldn't I be able to keep about two if not at least one? I already have fancies outdoors so I'm definitely not new to goldfish keeping if that's why your not recommending I do that. But anyways back to platies! So would they work in my ten? I have a weak (but new) sponge filter inside of it. I'm hoping for a lot of BB so I don't have to worry about the terrible filter. I made that filter. I was so proud until I learned more about bio-load...:(

NatureFish
????

Oh and are there any products to aid in cycling? I've been at it for over a month and haven't made a whole lot of progress. I've been using different fish foods as an ammonia source. My ammonia is 0.25... Is that good or bad or neither?

NatureFish
????

Some stores sell live nitrifying bacteria. I've never used it since it's illegal here but supposedly it works well.

Yes. So how do you know whether its considered high or long? I'm sorry for being a newbie... I don't know a lot of these terms.

NatureFish
????

The 29g should have the same foot print as a 20g long. 30" long x 12" wide (front to back).
You can do a Google search on tank dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some stores sell live nitrifying bacteria. I've never used it since it's illegal here but supposedly it works well.

Why is it illegal? Do you live in Texas? If not I think it's safe for me...

NatureFish
????

The 29g should have the same foot print as a 20g long. 30" long x 12" wide (front to back).
You can do a Google search on tank dimensions.

So would that be enough for say, a black Moore? I'm not raising for size so I'm not going to be feeding as often as most people would so I doubt he/she would get to be full size.

NatureFish
????

Oh and are there any products to aid in cycling? I've been at it for over a month and haven't made a whole lot of progress. I've been using different fish foods as an ammonia source. My ammonia is 0.25... Is that good or bad or neither?

NatureFish
????

What is the highest you were able to get the ammonia using fish food? What are the nitrite and nitrate readings? This is a fishless cycle in the 29, correct? After a month I would think the filter would be converting it to nitrite.
Strong filters are nice and can help with processing nitrogenous waste but are no substitute for WCs (and testing to see how effective the WC amounts are). That being said, WCs are probably more important with weak filtration.
How much BB can and will develop depend on the media and the amount of ammonia present. More ammonia, more BB as long as it has had time to adjust to the ammonia levels and that there is adequate media for them to grow on. Yes, BB also develop on almost every surface in the tank.

What is the highest you were able to get the ammonia using fish food? What are the nitrite and nitrate readings? This is a fishless cycle in the 29, correct? After a month I would think the filter would be converting it to nitrite.
Strong filters are nice and can help with processing nitrogenous waste but are no substitute for WCs (and testing to see how effective the WC amounts are). That being said, WCs are probably more important with weak filtration.
How much BB can and will develop depend on the media and the amount of ammonia present. More ammonia, more BB as long as it has had time to adjust to the ammonia levels and that there is adequate media for them to grow on. Yes, BB also develop on almost every surface in the tank.

Fishless cycling is happening in the ten. The 29 hasn't even been taken out of the box. I'm not sure whether or not I will return it or keep it yet so that's why. The ten is really the only thing those platies can be in at the moment so would it work? Platies are tropical I believe so ill need to go get a heater. I figured that's the last step though. Also my dwarf hair grass that's in there is growing very slowly could that have anything to do with the fact there's no heater?

NatureFish
????

And to answer the question about the highest ammonia reading: I've been doing this backwards a bit and so the first test I've ever taken was just two days ago. This had been running for a month so I though I'd test after a while to see if its ready for fish yet. The reading was very low I believe it was 0.25

NatureFish
????

In Hawaii, certain products with live bacteria can't be shipped in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

In Hawaii, certain products with live bacteria can't be shipped in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Oh. I think it's ok here unless I've been seeing people do it illegally.

NatureFish
????

Fishless cycling is happening in the ten. The 29 hasn't even been taken out of the box. I'm not sure whether or not I will return it or keep it yet so that's why. The ten is really the only thing those platies can be in at the moment so would it work? Platies are tropical I believe so ill need to go get a heater. I figured that's the last step though. Also my dwarf hair grass that's in there is growing very slowly could that have anything to do with the fact there's no heater?

NatureFish
????

Platies do generate a good deal of waste so the 10g may be pushing it. I would consult AquaAdvisor. I would use a heater and get one sooner than later. The success of the plants will depend on your lighting amongst other things. I've never grown DHG.
A single parameter such as ammonia really does not tell you if a tank is cycled or not. Nitrite is quite lethal as well. If you are still reading ammonia then cycling is not complete.
Not saying you can't keep platies in the tank, but you really need to get an idea of what your Amm/Trite/Trate levels are and how much water you will be changing each week to manage decent water parameters.

I tested everything except nitrite so I'll need to do that sooner or later. The readings said this: ammonia-0.25 nitrate-0 Ph-7.8
On the ph I was guesstimating since the reading was not on the normal Ph chart but it was too low to be on the high ph chart.

NatureFish
????

Platys

How hardy is "hardy"? I'm a newbie and chances are ill screw something up.

NatureFish
????

Hello again Nat...

Platys are at the top of the list of fish to use to cycle a freshwater tank. They're extremely tolerant of changes in water conditions that take place during the "nitrogen cycle". There are other species that are somewhat less tolerant, but still stand a good chance of surviving the cycling process. Female Guppies, Rasboras, White Clouds, and most species of Danios are some others.

B

Hello again Nat...

Platys are at the top of the list of fish to use to cycle a freshwater tank. They're extremely tolerant of changes in water conditions that take place during the "nitrogen cycle". There are other species that are somewhat less tolerant, but still stand a good chance of surviving the cycling process. Female Guppies, Rasboras, White Clouds, and most species of Danios are some others.

B

White clouds are hardy? Are they easy to breed? I like the golden variety.

NatureFish
????

White clouds are hardy? Are they easy to breed? I like the golden variety.

NatureFish
????

I have no experience with wcmm but I do know that they do not require a heater. They are colorful.
When you do get the <insert fish name here> to breed, which tank will be used for raising the fry?

I'll probably use the breeder trap for a while until they out grow that then they should be ready to swim with the other fish. I'll put them back when they can no longer fit into the mouths of the others. If needed I have spare 5 gallon if they are too big for the trap but too small for the tank.

NatureFish
????

What's the maximum amount of Platies I can keep in my 10 gallon?

NatureFish
????

What else is going in? By themselves, maybe five.

Back
Top Bottom