Quarantine tank when main tanks are newer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! So the deal is i have my girlfriends tank which is a 25 gallon thats been done its cycle for about 2-3 weeks showing normal test results. I also have a 30 gallon i am working on for myself using the biomax insert from hers as well as my biomax from my filter which i ran in her tank for a couple days prior to adding to my tank. I have been testing regularly as i added 3 of our guppies shortly after adding the media, and never shown any ammonia. I have seen nitrites very lightly and my first time testing nitrates show that im getting that at this point.

Her tank is good to go for new additions, and my tank is getting to the point of being ok as well. But i am wondering how a quarantine would work if the main tank(s) havent been established for too long before switching filter media to take care of the new fish. My thoughts are that those new fish are under stress to begin with and i dont want to run the risk of not having an excess of filter BB to be perfect off the bat. Current QT is honestly only a 7 gallon clear plastic container for now, and i have heater and many filter options for it. And i also have "Cycle" here, so maybe im worrying over nothing?

Quarantining should be done on all new fish.

That being said, it's rarely done. It's a calculated risk every time you add a new fish that wasn't previously quarantined before going in your tank. I personally, am not really worried about any nasties getting in my tanks so I don't QT. This is because I'm confident in my abilities to keep any diseases in check.

It's most likely going to come back and bite me in the butt some day, but it's a risk I am willing to take.

So in short, it's best to QT but most people don't.

Quarantining should be done on all new fish.

That being said, it's rarely done. It's a calculated risk every time you add a new fish that wasn't previously quarantined before going in your tank. I personally, am not really worried about any nasties getting in my tanks so I don't QT. This is because I'm confident in my abilities to keep any diseases in check.

It's most likely going to come back and bite me in the butt some day, but it's a risk I am willing to take.

So in short, it's best to QT but most people don't.

Yeah, and i figure i may as well take the precaution. Ive never dealt with an illness before and id be a bit upset if our tank's cycle got wiped out from me being impatient. I just doubt my filter media would have enough built up to add another small tank to be cycled that instant. I guess i would be testing and ready to change water however frequently it needed

When I first started, I did not quarantine. I got hit with Ich... I then went and bought a QT tank, and did that from there on out (never had issues)... Until..... Last week when I picked up some cardinals, they looked very healthy and were in the LFS tank for 2-3 weeks. I skipped the QT process because the QT tank is occupied with Ram Fry.. Low and behold, my 36G Planted tank now has Ich.. I skipped one time, and now have melting plants because of the heat... But have yet to lose any fish during the process and its recovering.

Its really worth the ~$10 for a cheap 10 gallon with a $25 sponge filter and a cheap small heater.. No decor, no gravel, makes it easy to clean and monitor fish.

Think if you actually infected the new main tank (obviously nothings in it), but you run the risk of having to medicate and wiping the bacteria that took so long to build up. Dunno, I still think its a safer route to go versus starting over again (Even though its a new tank)

When I first started, I did not quarantine. I got hit with Ich... I then went and bought a QT tank, and did that from there on out (never had issues)... Until..... Last week when I picked up some cardinals, they looked very healthy and were in the LFS tank for 2-3 weeks. I skipped the QT process because the QT tank is occupied with Ram Fry.. Low and behold, my 36G Planted tank now has Ich.. I skipped one time, and now have melting plants because of the heat... But have yet to lose any fish during the process and its recovering.

Its really worth the ~$10 for a cheap 10 gallon with a $25 sponge filter and a cheap small heater.. No decor, no gravel, makes it easy to clean and monitor fish.

Think if you actually infected the new main tank (obviously nothings in it), but you run the risk of having to medicate and wiping the bacteria that took so long to build up. Dunno, I still think its a safer route to go versus starting over again (Even though its a new tank)

Yeah i have my ghetto setup running now with some new cardinal tetras for my girlfriends tank. Like i said, i have some Cycle here so ill use that on top to make sure things are ok. Just didnt like the thought of adding more stress to the fish after all theyve been through so far lol What are some things you guys look for? I didnt see any white, and they all were moving around like a healthy fish would. We only have the one real fish store here, and the tanks seem dirty to me (algea on sides and in gravel quite a bit), but figured they seemed healthy enough and id seen them there for a while now. Might end up checking out the next city over where theres quite a few more, but up to an hour drive home

Here is a pic of the "tank", because this beauty deserves to be shared. Top quality plastic container, modified lamp, and random decor makes a home away from home for a few not so lucky fish! lol

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 57
I would look for flashing, proper poo, eating and active (depending on the fish). It won't be that much stress on them either. Just do a 50% WC every few days. Some even dose prazi-pro as a precaution to gill flukes while in QT... Its a pretty safe med

Just monitor them for a couple of weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would look for flashing, proper poo, eating and active (depending on the fish). It won't be that much stress on them either. Just do a 50% WC every few days. Some even dose prazi-pro as a precaution to gill flukes while in QT... Its a pretty safe med

Just monitor them for a couple of weeks.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Im new to this all so ive never seen a fish get sick yet. But i think i have a decent idea of at least most symptoms.

How long would you guys say is the minimum time to be in QT to be pretty safe that things are good? Looking at 2 weeks if nothings seen? Or longer?

Most will say 3+ weeks... I generally do mine for about 2 weeks, only if I see zero odd behavior at all. If anything looks off during that time I up it.

Most will say 3+ weeks... I generally do mine for about 2 weeks, only if I see zero odd behavior at all. If anything looks off during that time I up it.

They seem stressed in this tank and hid when i tried to feed them. But maybe ill try and slow the flow of the filter and give it a bit of time for them to adjust.

Hi. I use a QT. It has no gravel but I keep loads of Java Moss in it, just floating around. It's easy to remove for cleaning and the fish seem much calmer having the moss to hide under and behind. I also believe a large amount of plant material helps the smaller tank to stay stable. I wouldn't actually plant it up but might consider putting some potted plants in, again easy to remove. I quarantine for at least 4 weeks so the fish are fully settled into my local water conditions. The last few QT water changes use water from my main tank so there is never a stress problem transferring them across. Some might think this OTT but I enjoy the process and think the fish benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi. I use a QT. It has no gravel but I keep loads of Java Moss in it, just floating around. It's easy to remove for cleaning and the fish seem much calmer having the moss to hide under and behind. I also believe a large amount of plant material helps the smaller tank to stay stable. I wouldn't actually plant it up but might consider putting some potted plants in, again easy to remove. I quarantine for at least 4 weeks so the fish are fully settled into my local water conditions. The last few QT water changes use water from my main tank so there is never a stress problem transferring them across. Some might think this OTT but I enjoy the process and think the fish benefit.

The water i put in the tank at first was about 80% main tank water and the rest new treated water. If i keep adding the old tanks water, wouldnt that end up making the water more concentrated with nitrates and whatnot since its the end of what the main tank sees, then gets stocked up more with those QT fish? I was planning to use cycle for the first bit and test it every other day at least this first time so i can keep track of how the nitrogen cycle is handled in that situation

But now the fish are looking lively again so i think they just need a little time to adjust. Now the waiting game lol

In theory your main tank water should have low nitrates due to water changes, the QT being smaller will have higher nitrates so using the old tank water prior to moving fish from QT to main just equalises the two tanks so moving the fish is less stressful.

Back
Top Bottom