ready for fish?/suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmaxey71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I haven't posted for about 3 weeks but I was working on the tank. I have atttached a pic. 29gal, marineland biowheel filter with additional carbon/floss filter thing, heater, non-planted, large rock and slate with gravel. Tank has been set up for about 5 weeks now and it was converted with everything from a previous tank, including the water and filter. I have a pleco and a syno cat from the previous tank. Water parameters as of this am: ph - 8.2, ammo - 0-.25ppm, nitrite - 0ppm, nitrate - 10-20ppm. These values have been consistent throughout. The water is very hard as well. Straight from the tap - country water, no additives but does run through the softener for what that does:rolleyes:. I also have some algae, I think beard algae and some brown algae on the plastic plants. The pleco does nothing but sticks to the bottom of the rock/slate. Tank is not in direct sunlight, but is in the living room with indirect light. Tank light is on about 4-6 hours/day. I am thinking about tetras or barbs? Should I try to find a home for the syno cat and get corys? Am I ready to add fish? Water changes of about 30% every week.

Attachments

• fishtank 07-08-11.jpg
    fishtank 07-08-11.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 136
If the pleco is a common rather than a bristlenose you really need to rehome it along with the Syno. Tetras are generally better suited to a small tank than barbs, aside from cherry barbs or a similar small species.
Your ammonia and nitrite should be 0, what are you using to test the water? Paper strips are unreliable-useless in general, best to use a liquid reagent test kit. If that shows the same results try testing your tap water for ammonia. Are you drawing from a well?

Thanks! I am near a really good lfs and will ask them about rehoming the syno and the pleco. I will look closer to tetras. I just like the spunk of the barbs. If I get some cherry barbs, will they be ok with tetras? I am really struggling on how to stock my tank as I just can't decide. As for the water parameters, I am using an API master test kit. I have been testing weekly and parameters are consistent. I will test my water too and post those values. Water is from a well.

Cherry barbs aren't hyperactive, aggressive fin nippers like tiger barbs, would mix with tetras better in a small tank. Checkered barbs are another relatively mellow species that doesn't grow too large. Rosy barbs aren't bad, but do grow a bit large for a proper group to share a small tank.
If you have ammonia in you well water there's something wrong...

Ok I tested my tap water today and had ammo in it. Yuck! First time its showed up so I'll have to check it out before any more water changes. I talked to the lfs today. All they do is specialize in aquarium fresh and salt water fish. I was really impressed with their fish - very healthy and happy. They really seem knowledgeable. However, they felt that barbs may be a good choice especially if I keep the big syno cat. So now I am a bit unsure. First thing is to fix my water. If I go with tetras, would anything help soften the water?

Please don't try to soften the water. It's better that the water is stable than trying to soften or change the chemistry, doing that might shock your fish due to the abrupt changes and can die.
Never listen to an LFS unless you are absolutely 100% sure they are correct. I listened to my LFS a month ago to get something for my tank, next thing you know nearly all of them are dead.

I would prefer to not add any chem or make changes. I do trust this store, but I think I am just way overwhelmed by too much research and fear of failing to do right by my fish. I guess I am just a bit frustrated. Sorry to complain. If I stay where I am at and get fish that really prefer soft water with a more acidic environment, then they wont be ultimately happy because I have the opposite to offer. Just don't know.

There are dechlorinators that will also neutralize the ammonia in your tap water, though it will still show up if you test for it.
Which species of Syno do you have? The mid-size or larger species would be cramped in a 29, and the smaller species are social fish, best kept in groups, and also need a bit of space to move around.

I think the species of syno that I have may be ocellifer or njassae? Could be a mix of something else. He has fewer spots. I am gonna try to rehome him since I will not have another larger tank for him anytime soon. I do like him though. I may have a home for the pleco which is good news and yes, he is a common pleco I am pretty sure. Assuming that I can find a home for the syno, I am sure I will need a clean-up crew of some kind. Should I look at corys or otos? Or would a bristlenose pleco be better?

Bristlenose are good for keeping algae under control, but would likely need to be fed some veggies occaisonally as well. Cory cats are popular fish, but I've never been a fan personally. I prefer larger tanks, cichlids and Syno's. Oto's really do best in groups in larger, well established planted tanks.

So I kinda feel like maybe my tank is inadequate. Its all I have and I am happy with what I have so far. I really think I will try some barbs as I really like the little devils. I have frozen food and am planning for veggies in the tank on occasion as well. I also have flake food and the syno cat came with large fish pellets though I am still hoping to rehome him. I would love to have a larger tank and maybe someday I can have a nice cichlid tank. I just like thepersonality of a little more aggressive or active fish.

Any opinions on rainbows? Could a group be ok in my tank?

Rainbows are active fish, and even the dwarf neons would be too crowded in a 29. I had a group in a 55, and the females still got beat up by the males. I expected them to be relatively mellow schooling fish, found them to be quite aggressive among their own species.
IME a 29 is suitable for small schooling fish and/or an established pair of cichlids that don't claim a large territory. Bolivian ram's would work, maybe a pair of Apisto's if they've been tank-raised in hard water.
Also good for a breeding tank, but a growing brood of fry will overcrowd it in a couple months.

So what about 6 cherry barbs, 6 gold barbs, something else? Or 5 diamond tetras, 5 lemon tetras, 5 serpae tetras? Plan on rehoming the syno, maybe a snail for cleanup?

Back
Top Bottom