Recommend some equipment for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msaeger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello newbie here,

I would like to get freshwater aquarium because my son would really enjoy it I will be doing all the maintenance myself not trying to make this into a lesson in responsibility to something silly.

I am thinking an acrylic tank in the 10 to 20 gallon range and I don't have any species of fish in mind I say freshwater because that sounds like the easiest to take care of. I would like live plants if that is feasible for a newbie I like more natural looking.

Some recommendations on equipment, fish, and plants would be great.

Links to helpful information would be welcome too.

I'd avoid acrylic, no fun having a scratched tank. I really like the Aqueon bow front 16 gallon kit. The filter is dead simple to use. You'll read a lot about fancy lights and CO2 for planted tanks on here, but you can grow several without, and I'd try those.

You'll get lots of recommendations for stocking, and I'd suggest you consider some Amano or Red Cherry shrimp, they're fun to watch, and don't add much bio load.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What colors of fish do you prefer? That will help us suggest stock. Also I would start with the biggest tank you can. Bigger is easier to control water parameters and its more forgiving. The very second thing I would buy (tank set up being first) is an API master test kit. You will need it when you cycle your tank and to check ammonia levels etc. The test strips are not accurate. Prime is a must. Its a water conditioner. You will need a lid, I prefer the glass kind as they prevent evaporation better. I'm not a light expert and the filter will all depend on what size of tank. For 10 to 20 gallon tanks the Aquaclear or Fluval filters are great. Hope I helped a little. Best wishes with your new hobby!!

I'd avoid acrylic, no fun having a scratched tank. I really like the Aqueon bow front 16 gallon kit. The filter is dead simple to use. You'll read a lot about fancy lights and CO2 for planted tanks on here, but you can grow several without, and I'd try those.

You'll get lots of recommendations for stocking, and I'd suggest you consider some Amano or Red Cherry shrimp, they're fun to watch, and don't add much bio load.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this the kithttp://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=%2Ffish%2Faquariums%2Faqueon-deluxe-aquarium-kit-zid36-16689%2Fcat-36-catid-300065?null

That link goes to a stand. Do you know if the filter is loud with this kit? I have read to avoid the kits because they come with poor accessories.

Your Planned Tank

Hello newbie here,

I would like to get freshwater aquarium because my son would really enjoy it I will be doing all the maintenance myself not trying to make this into a lesson in responsibility to something silly.

I am thinking an acrylic tank in the 10 to 20 gallon range and I don't have any species of fish in mind I say freshwater because that sounds like the easiest to take care of. I would like live plants if that is feasible for a newbie I like more natural looking.

Some recommendations on equipment, fish, and plants would be great.

Links to helpful information would be welcome too.

Hello ms...

Don't waste time on small tanks. They're more work than a larger tank. If you're serious about the "Waterkeeping" hobby, then give you and your son the best chance of success and get at minimum a 30 gallon tank. Larger would be better, but many think a large tank is frightening because of the size and all that water.

Get a longer tank, that's shorter and narrower. This will give you room to work when setting things up. If you want my opinion, I'd get one of those 40 gallon "Breeder" tanks. Short and large enough to keep a good number of fish. Zebra Danios or Platys would be a good hardy fish for a beginner.

Don't mess with a small tank. There's a long list of disadvantages to them.

B

Angelfish, a red tailed shark, and some cories would be nice. however, in their early life, angelfish need good water, and the rts need to be fed freeze-dried shrimp a few times a week to maintain color. And the cories would need soft substrate. but otherwise, a good tank.

I second all the opinions on larger tanks. My personal favorite size is a 55 gallon, but a 40 gallon breeder would be excellent as well. My first tank, a 26 gallon, had a tendency to change in water quality a little faster than I could find out or react which led to problems. 55 gallons are the perfect size for some of the bigger and more interesting fish as well.

I would recommend plastic submersible heaters as they are more foolproof! I forgot to unplug a glass non-submersible heater during maintenance once and it exploded mid-water change.

Back
Top Bottom