Reptile log for aquarium wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itschromesteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was in my local pet store this weekend and they got in a shipment of these really beautiful huge hollow logs that i would love to put in my new tank. Only problem is they look like they were designed for reptiles and still have all the bark on them. Is this something that with scrubbing and soaking i could use in my tank?

itschromesteel said:
i was in my local pet store this weekend and they got in a shipment of these really beautiful huge hollow logs that i would love to put in my new tank. Only problem is they look like they were designed for reptiles and still have all the bark on them. Is this something that with scrubbing and soaking i could use in my tank?

Some of them will actually say aquarium/or terrainium on the tag and give directions on how to prep it but idk if it still has bark if u could use it or not??

itschromesteel said:

I bought a piece of driftwood from the reptile section at PetSmart or Petco (I don't remember now), but worked just fine. Has been in my tank for 6 months already with no issues.
I just boiled really well, like 4 times, before I introduced into my tank. I even created a thread about it. You can check all the answers and suggestions that I got from other members.

Also be sure that has not being used with reptiles before, some stores like to put lizards out of their cages and let them sit in the driftwood to attract costumers.

as long as you take the bark off,it should be fine

Sounds to me like it is cork bark rounds which is not ideal for an aquarium. They are good for humidity but being fully submerged will cause them to start rotting.

Its not cork bark it pretty much looks like a hollowed out section of tree trunk. It has no labels or stickers just a price sticker from the pet store.

Back
Top Bottom