Sand substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvanv

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought pool filter sand for my tank and found out that it is silica sand. I think I read that silica sand was too fine for planting. Is there some other choice? I also am looking for something darker to blend with this does anyone have some suggestions?
Your site has been a big help to me so far.

Pool filter sand should be just that. I don't believe there are different grades of it as long as you truly have pool filter sand. The plants shouldn't have a problem in pool filter sand.

My PFS is light tan in color, just like everyone else's that I have seen. Grain size is much larger than other sands I have looked at. And to calm your nerves a bit, my plants seem to be doing just fine in it. Lots of folks use it in planted tanks.

I appreciate the go ahead. I just expected it to be a little darker this seems to be an off white more than a tan.

Below is an image of what my PFS looks like, just for comparison. This was shortly after the switch, so it's still nice and clean. The sand has turned a darker color since then (almost 4 months since).

The amount of light will also have an impact on the color of the sand. I use PFS in my tank and the stuff works great. I have plants and they seem to be doing just fine. The sand is great because most of it won't get sucked up when siphoning and the stuff that does is really fine and would cloud the water anyway if the sand was disturbed.

Lighting does indeed make a difference. My PFS looks like average beach sand in daylight. When thte flourescents are on at night, it's nearly white.

Back
Top Bottom