Seachem question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jweickum

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can seachem effect my nitrate levels?

I just added some seachem to my 10g tank and not even realizing I should have tested the water before adding it. I have a nitrate reading of 5.0, but no nitrite levels.

Attachments

• image-2851644135.jpg
    image-2851644135.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 47
What seachem product? Prime? I can't think why it would. Having 5ppm of nitrates isn't bad. For freshwater it's quite good and relatively low. It sounds like you're probably cycled if you have nitrates. How long has the tank been running and what's in it?

Well I have been waiting for like two months for my tank to cycle and now I tested and finally got a positive result. And was just wondering if it was a fluke or if my tank finally cycled.

I have an Otto, 2 platys, 3 tetras, and a snail.

And the product is stability.

Attachments

• image-4253897454.jpg
    image-4253897454.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 46
It is quite possible that you're cycled now. Make sure you shake the bottle that the test solution is in before adding it and test again sometime tomorrow and see what's there

Yes I made sure to follow my instructions exactly. I will test tomorrow and probably every day for another week.

Thanks for the help.

Now I hopefully may begin my journal on my 23g treasure chest tank.

What seachem product? Prime? I can't think why it would. Having 5ppm of nitrates isn't bad. For freshwater it's quite good and relatively low. It sounds like you're probably cycled if you have nitrates. How long has the tank been running and what's in it?

You're not cycled, your ammonia test looks very green to me, needs to be yellow

My ammonia was at 1 ppm. I have since done a water change today putting it at below .5ppm.

And doesn't the appearance of nitrates mean nitrite bacteria? Meaning tank being cycled?

Also my bio load is probably too much for the ammonia bacteria as my fish just had babies and we haven't been able to move tanks yet.

When your levels all read 0 with nitrates above 5 ppm for at least a week, you are cycled, the additions of fry will not oversto k you to the point of overloading the bb causing ammonia, if anything it may cause the nitrates to rise faster then usual unless you are overstocked to begin with. I say you are not cycled

My ammonia was at 1 ppm. I have since done a water change today putting it at below .5ppm.

And doesn't the appearance of nitrates mean nitrite bacteria? Meaning tank being cycled?

You're close but not there yet, ammonia and nitrite readings need to ALWAYS be 0

Day 2

Nitrates still at 5ppm
Nitrites are 0ppm
And ammonia is .5ppm

So it's day 4 since I posted my first post and checks my levels. No water changed have been done. No chemicals added, only fish food.

Ammonia is at .5
Nitrite still 0
Nitrate still 5

Same exact levels for 4 days in a row. Does this mean anything?

So it's day 4 since I posted my first post and checks my levels. No water changed have been done. No chemicals added, only fish food.

Ammonia is at .5
Nitrite still 0
Nitrate still 5

Doesn't mean anything specific but you're getting closer. I know it's nerve wrecking. I've been through it, most of us in the hobby has and when it's cycled it's a great feeling. Once it ammonia and nitrites hit zero and stays there for I'll say 5 days in a row then it's done.

Ammonia is at .5
Nitrite still 0
Nitrate still 5

Keep doing water changes, try getting that ammonia down further, put some prime in there to detoxify that ammonia because when fish are exposed to ammonia it does damage to them internally and it's permanent and will shorten the lifespan of the fish

Back
Top Bottom