See-through fish?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpreno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I hate being a newbie! Now my 10-gallon tank is in great balance--the plants are eating the nitrates, even. But my betta that I posted about two weeks ago is starting to go transparent! What started as a couple of colorless patches has spread, as you can see by the picture.

I got some good feedback from some Addicts, and I'm not too worried, as Rusty is lively and normal-acting, with a good appetite. One person suggested that this might be a color change. Now that it's bigger, does this look like that's what it is? I've been dosing the tank with Pimafix for a week, just to be on the safe side...

Thanks for any additional thoughts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 84
Hi, I can't see any fin rot on the margins (touch wood). Are the fin edges unchanged?

Have you changed feed or anything recently? Wondering on a colour change myself but not sure what is causing it.

Fins seem ok...

Thanks for resonding--fishkeeping seems to be a very inexact science! If Rusty were a cat I'd know what to do and so would the vet.

When he flares, the fin edges seem to be perfectly smooth and rounded. Nothing has changed lately. Food is the same (betta pellets), temp is around 80, water chemistry is perfect. He is active and lively, and very nosy--not a shy fish at all!

:thanks:

I still think it's a color change. I've seen a betta change from completely ghostly white to completely jet-black in a matter of months.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I take it back

Thank you! I hope that's what it is. I just fed Rusty, and I noticed that the little fin below his gills was looking clumped and a little thin. First time I have seen that. Is he starting to get fin rot???? Oh, dear.

Thanks.

Hi,

I hate being a newbie! Now my 10-gallon tank is in great balance--the plants are eating the nitrates, even. But my betta that I posted about two weeks ago is starting to go transparent! What started as a couple of colorless patches has spread, as you can see by the picture.

I got some good feedback from some Addicts, and I'm not too worried, as Rusty is lively and normal-acting, with a good appetite. One person suggested that this might be a color change. Now that it's bigger, does this look like that's what it is? I've been dosing the tank with Pimafix for a week, just to be on the safe side...

Thanks for any additional thoughts.

Hi. I'm not a Betta keeper but have had fish with flowing fins. IOM I would not treat a fish for anything that you have not positively identified. Medication can make matters worse. If it's fin damage them really good clean water is your first step and give him chance to heal himself. I've stopped treating my main display tank and all injuries have healed naturally.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree with color change. I had a white betta with blue fins, but now he is solid blue

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom