Setting up a new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I pretty much grew up with an aquarium in my room. I think I restarted it 3 separate times, each with different tankmates, locations, plantings, and the like, and the more I read on these forums, the more I realize I was doing it wrong.

It has been several years since my last tank, but I was thinking of starting it back up again (30 gallons). I would like to do just guppies and maybe a couple other species that would be peaceful tank mates. I would like to have it planted, but don't want the hassel or cost that comes with CO2 systems (I understand if the tank has moderate light, it wouldn't need a CO2 system like a highly lit tank?). I also am considering doing sand as I have always used gravel in the past, but am not sure what the best substrate or substrate combo is for plants

I would also like to make use of some real driftwood to make it a very natural looking tank, but am not sure of where to obtain some (I live in central South Carolina).

So my questions are as follows:

Tips? Advice?
Best plants for an aquarium that only need fertilizer and moderate light?
Good tankmates for guppies that won't nip fins?
Substrate suggestions?

Any help is much appreciated!:D

EDIT: Also wondering at what point I should plant concerning the nitrogen cycle? Can I go ahead and plant when I first set up the tank and have them in there while the tank is cycling?

Last edited:
As for tank mates, there are quite a few to choose from. Tetras, platys, and danios are some good suggestions, but there are many others. Do you know about different levels of fish? Like surface dwellers, mid level fish, bottom dwellers/clean up crew? Also, you will probably want a "centerpiece fish", one that is brightly colored or attractive in any way. They are normally kept in pairs or alone. Some examples are: gourami, cichlids, scarlett badis, etc.

Some good plants are:
Java moss
Java fern
Certain types of cryptocoryne (crypts)
Types of vals (vallisneria)
and some others. Could other people chime in, I am starting a planted tank now, so I don't know much about them.

I don't know what to do about the cycling part either. I do know that there is something called silent cycling. Here are some links:
Silent Cycling in a Planted Aquarium - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
Cycling a Planted Tank | Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/silent-cycle-100658.html
Silent Cycle - Planted Chit Chat - Tropical Fish Forums
Has Anyone Done A 'silent Cycle'? - Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle - 40007
"silent cycling" - General Aquarium Plants Discussions - Aquatic Plant Central

Anyway, if you choose not to silent cycle, yes, plants will be fine during the cycling period. There are some stem plants (sorry, can't give examples, I don't know much about them) that actually use up ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte. But you should definitely read those articles. It sounds like silent cycling is much easier, and I need to look into myself.

:welcome: to Aquarium Advice!

Back
Top Bottom