Setting up a new community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracygh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anybody have any suggestions or faves for a community tanks?

it's a 20 gallon tank, HOB filter and heater, bubble wall, flourescent light strip in the canopy, lots of fake plants, decorations and hiding places.

There are currently a pair of albino cory cats and neons who are all staying for sure, a sunrise platy who may or may not stay and a 5 inch rhino pleco whose fate is still undecided

I would like to add some more neons....best number? 8 more for an even dozen? 6 more for 10 total?

I was thinking maybe baby angels too. They have some at the LFS up here that are about the size of a dime.

Or Danios. Or Sharks. Or Black Knifes. Or what??????????

Should the Rhino Pleco stay or go? He looks way cool, but he's pretty big. I can get about $20 trade in for him at Big Al's...that would cover the cost of the neons...

Come on fish lovers, give us your opinions! :eek2: (my 5 year old wanted to pick a face)

Looking forward to your input!

I would recommend getting a total of at least eight neons because they school better when you have that many. I do not recommend that you get any angelfish because they will eat the neons when they are big enough. You should also look at getting three more corydoras because they are happier in a group. I would return that pleco otherwise you are limited in how many more fish you can safely add to the tank. I would not recommend getting any sharks or black knifes because they can get big and/or aggressive. Zebra danios are certainly a very active fish and your 5 year old would probably enjoy watching them. By the way, if the tank hasn't been set up very long I wouldn't add any more fish until you are sure that it has completed cycling.

yeah.....definetly add more cory's to the tank and if you want to keep your neons....no angels because they are their actual diet in the wild, zebra danios are awesome fish and never stop moving....maybe a weird look hatchetfish to fill the top of the tank and get some little otto's to keep the algae down :D

Thanks for the input guys, I didn't realize that neons were on the angel menu. This is why AA rules 8)

My post title was misleading, I am not setting up, I'm already set up, cycled, have some fish in there and ready to add. Sorry for the confusion. But it's good to know that AA members are on their toes and watching out for the fishies. :D

So at least 4 more neons, 3 more corydora, byebye funky-dino and probably zebra danios. (my 5 year old calls them speedy-bobs)

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom