Setting up a second tank...maybe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got my job at the carwash back drying cars, so I don't have to worry about money for quite some time. (Making $100+ once a week).

I am willing to set up another tank with the money I earn, and have a few questions...

How much would I be spending:

20g with black sand substrate, basic strip light, glass top

30g with the same things

I know how much a heater would be and I have an Aqua Clear 50 filter that I don't use so I don't need to buy another filter.

What are the dimensions of a 30g long?

YAY!!!

(y)

What I've found is that the most expensive thing is the stand and filtration. Tanks are pretty cheap, substrates are pretty cheap (unless you're going planted). And you already have a filter.

I'd keep an eye on ebay and craigslist and you can probably get a tank and stand pretty cheap.

David14259 said:

I missed somthing there. :?

Tanks are usually cheaper used if you do some checking around you can probably find a good tank with filter and stand for very little $$. Check your local classifieds and with your local aquarium society. I've purchased all my tanks used and some filters used. I use pool filter sand so I get that new. Used is at a minimum half of new. Usually less than half. I can't tell you specific dollar amounts, prices vary all over.

The Greater City Aquarium Society http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/greatercity/ annual auction is on April 4. There are usually a few 10 - 29 gal tanks being unloaded by members. Cheap, cheap, cheap!!!!! :D

Check Craigslist and your local iSoldit eBay store. There are always good deals out there to be had.

Also, look around your neighborhood for garage sales. This is the time of year that people are cleaning out their basementy and garages. Also, keep your eyes open on the way to work. I found a perfectly good 29 gal and stand at the curb in my parent's Long Island neighborhood.

Since you already have a filter, the the most expensive item will be the light fixture/hood. Expect to pay $50 - $80 new unless you can find this item used.

Zagz said:
David14259 said:
I think he might mean use the money earned towards buying a car.
But not sure (?).

Anyway, I saw the title of the thread, then the owner of it, and started laughing! It might as well have been "16-Year-Old Shuns Cars for Fish Tanks; All of Aquaria Nods in Acknowledgment"

:lol:
(y)

LandGhoti said:
Zagz said:
David14259 said:
I think he might mean use the money earned towards buying a car.
But not sure (?).

Anyway, I saw the title of the thread, then the owner of it, and started laughing! It might as well have been "16-Year-Old Shuns Cars for Fish Tanks; All of Aquaria Nods in Acknowledgment"

:lol:
(y)

Yes...my point was a soon to be 16yr old should be saving up to buy a car...not more fish tanks :) Then, when he can actually drive himself to the LFS, he can get more tanks.

Lmao to all of you. I should change he title of this post. I still have time to think about what I am doing.

Back
Top Bottom