Snail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Interloper

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a relatively new tank...cycled, but I just noticed 1 snail in it...

I have heard that they will get out of control but should I leave him? Or what do? What's the difference between this snail and the ones you buy at the store?

It depends on what type of snail it is, some will breed very quickly and some won't. Odds are, if it was a hitchhiker, it is a pond snail, and those can get out of control if you over feed. As long as you don't over feed and keep the tank clean, no snails will really become much of a problem.

The only problem I face is them getting out of control tho right? They arent gonna taint the water and kill my fish or anything crazy right? Lol I'm not at 100% for stock yet...do cories eat snails? Heh

I'm not so sure about the Cories but they won't do much damage unless they go nuts and you get hundreds of them, which they won't do unless you over feed. If you do notice that you are getting more of them than you would like, put a leaf of lettuce in the tank overnight and pull it out in the morning. A lot of them will be on the leaf eating it, so you can pull out a lot at once. If you notice dead ones in the tank, pull them out or the dead body will foul the water.

I guess it depends on if they find the lettuce tastier than the plants.

Most likely you have a pond snail. They often come with plants and other tank media. Yes, pond snails can get out of control before you know it. Take it out...although it might not even work. I had hundreds of them from "just 1", ended up I had to buy assassin snails to take care of the business.

The only problem I face is them getting out of control tho right? They arent gonna taint the water and kill my fish or anything crazy right? Lol I'm not at 100% for stock yet...do cories eat snails? Heh

No, they don't taint the water or harm the fish. I have Corys with snails and they don't bother them. I have three nerite snails that I put in the tank on purpose (they can't breed in freshwater) and I have 2-3 small pond snails that came in on some plants I bought. I've had the pond snails for a few months now at least and I am not overrun with them. If you don't overfeed, they shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom