So many beautiful fish, which ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obsession

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm getting a new tank this weekend. It's a 180 gal. tank, made from plywood (8' long, 2' wide, 18" tall).
I'm going to use eco-complete as my substrate.
I'm planning on making the tank a South American theme, or an South Asia theme.
Live plants are a must, and so are tetras. So I was wondering which fish are best, upper, middle, and lower level. Also what plants to use to make the fish feel at home.

Also I've been keeping fish for about 6 years, so they don't have to be beginner fish.

Definitely get some dwarf cichlids for the bottom level (rams or apistos or both) ;). Cories of any type and a couple plecos would be great too. You have room for a few types of tetras if you wanted (for a South American theme)...some I like are Rummynose, Lemons, Flame (von rios), Black neons, and Pristellas. I know Rummynoses stay towards the bottom-middle area and Flames stay near the top-middle...but not sure about the others.

Are you planning any larger fish, like angelfish? You could have 4-6 in that size tank....and with the tetras I mentioned. The only tetras to watch out for are regular neons...they are angels' prey in the wild.

For plants...check out http://www.tropica.com and go to advanced search. Then choose South America under "continent" and you'll get alot of results. Plant choice really depends on your lighting. The only thing is that the plants are listed by scientific name and not common...but a quick google search will tell you the common names I'm sure. :)

That sounds like it will be an awesome tank!

With a tank that large there are a lot of opportunities for both fish and plants. I think a South American theme with angelfish, rams, apistos, tetras, corys, plecos, etc. would look spectacular combined with some plants such as several species of swords, Alternanthera, some vals, etc. JustOneMore20 had some great suggestions and I would suggest getting six or eight juvenile angelfish so that you can get at least a couple of breeding pairs, twelve to eighteen rummynose tetras so that you have a large school, at least a half dozen corys for bottom feeders and maybe a few bristlenose plecos.

Below is a link to another great site where you can get ideas for plants based on the region they are from.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_cat.php?category=6

Good luck with your new tank.

Angels, Apistos, Rams, Tetra, Corys, Plecos, Otos, ..... :D

something like this :)
img_730093_0_be196cd8d02db123ddac454e39bedc2a.jpg

I would not mix apistos with angels or plecos or even corys. If you want apistos mix them with pencils, which won't go after fry. A pleco may end up blinded by apistos guarding their young. And tetras are fry eaters, as are angels.

Hey welcome fellow Illinoian!!! I am from the souther part of the state. I like the idea of theme. I personally am a fan of Angels!!!!

sherry said:
I would not mix apistos with angels or plecos or even corys. If you want apistos mix them with pencils, which won't go after fry. A pleco may end up blinded by apistos guarding their young. And tetras are fry eaters, as are angels.
i keep apistos with angels, bolivian, GBR, tetra, cories, plecos.... never had a problem :?

Thank yo so much for the suggestions. (JDogg, your tank looks beautiful!)

This is the list I came up with, any corrections are appreciated.

6 FW - Black Angel
4 FW - German Blue Ram
5 FW - Zebra Danio
10 FW - Cardinal Tetra - Jumbo
10 FW - Neon Tetra Jumbo
12 FW - True Rummynose Tetra
10 FW - Black Neon Tetra
10 FW - Silver Tip Tetra
6 FW - Panda Cory Cat
1 FW – Bristlenose Pleco
10 FW – Otocinclus Catfish
7 FW - Pencilfish