Sponge Filter Baffle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eleven13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

I just bought a Marineland Eclipse 3 gallon tank for my betta, and I'm almost ready to transfer him into it, however the current is far too strong from the outflow, and I've read that the intake is also very strong, so I'd like to cut both of them down a bit.

I know how to create a plastic baffle using a cut water bottle, but I'm worried about having the sharp plastic edges in the water and I'm unsure as to whether the tape will hold permenantly, so I'd like to create a sponge baffle by blocking the outflow with some sort of filter sponge that I'll cut and rubber band around my filtration unit and position the sponge right in front of the outflow.

However, I also wanted to take another piece of that sponge and sit it in the intake of the filter. If I do both of these things, restricting the outflow via sponge and placing a piece of sponge in the intake, will it cause a lot of stress on the motor? Or is there a certain amount of sponge I should place in the intake, such as only filling it half way or filling it completely?

And lastly, does the type of sponge I use matter, whether is "mechanical" or "biological" etc etc?

Thank you!

You don't have to worry about the intake pipe. He won't get stuck or sucked into it. Any sponge will work to cover it. Just cut a hole down the centre and put it over the bottom (where the holes are) of the pipe.
For the outtake you don't want to block the flow just disperse it. If you block it you risk overflowing the filter. There is a picture in my 8g tank album of a sponge baffle. It's under the outtake not in it so it doesn't block any water.

image-1071140176.jpg

I ended up swapping the sponge for a bottle baffle like this. No tape or sharp edges where the fish can get to it.

Thank you for the advice Mumma.of.two, I went out and bought some AquaClear foam filter inserts so I plan on cutting it to fit on the intake tomorrow! And thanks for the tip for the outflow, I actually was going to block it with the sponge but now that you suggested it instead I'll hang a sponge via elastic bands right underneath the outflow to disperse it that way.

Unfortunately with the Marineland Eclipse the outflow is below the water line, so one way or another I'd have to have the plastic in the tank as well as tape right above the water. I'd assume duct tape would hold, and I thought about cutting some of my excess air tubing to line the sides of the plastic with as a buffer, but I think I'll give the sponge a shot for now.

So now that this problem is tackled, naturally another one has emerged where my tank is sitting at 80 degrees (which definitely isn't the ambient temperature in my room.....) so I can only assume it is from the light......*sigh* gotta figure this out now ;)

Thank you for your help!

This is true, I'm just worried because I ordered a 25 watt heater that is coming in today, so I'll have to monitor it for a couple days to see how the temperature fluctuates, if it does at all. If it keeps it at 80 without fluctuation or getting too hot I'll be very happy =)

Back
Top Bottom