Starter Tank Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wes910

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a tank from wal-mart. It came with a filter that looks kinda cheesy lol. Whats a good upgrade with out blowing my whole wad?

If you bought the aquaculture kit (I work at walmart by the way) it come with the whisper 5-15 power filter. I belive that the GPH on that unit is around 110 GPH, which would be fine for your 10 gal tank.

A filter should be able to completley turn over your water 6-7 times an hour, so you would need atleast a 70 GPH filter, and you have that, so no filter upgrade in neccessary. Check the back of the box, where it gives the output of the filter, and see how many GPH it gives out, incase I am wrong. Other that that, your set it seems. HTH

Yea one of my guppys died today soo i took a water sample into Petsmart and the water was good. They said the fished died because the guppies have a hard time in new tanks

How long did you wait after you bought your tank to add fish? Were the fish already yours and you up graded the tank? From what you wrote, it sounds like the tank is not cycled. Read the article on cycling located in the articles section. What dechlorinator are you using? What exactly are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? You should have a water test kit of your own to monitor the water parameters.
Tetra Whisper power filter
I have one of these on my QT tank and it works fine. If you want to upgrade, go for an AquaClear mini or mini biowheel. :D

my 2 mollys are doing fine. i used aquasafe. i also have add some aquarium salt. No they are new fish. heres the readings from pets mart on my water

ph-7.2
chlorine-0
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
hardness-120
alkalinity-75

Back
Top Bottom