stocking level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle71

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just put all my fish into the aquariumadvisor and I am a bit confused.
I run my 75 gal with two marineland biowheel emperor 400 filter.
I have now:
1 Angelfish
6 emerald green cory
6 guppy
14 Platy
2 mystery snail

now it says the stocking level is at 74%. My question is now: how much space do I have to subtract from available space for decoration? I am assuming that the calculation on the advisor side only counts the water amount + filtration but what about the deco and plants? How do you guys handle it?

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 179%.
Recommended water change schedule: 23% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 74%.

Unless you have bolders or some other huge structure displacing water it is not really a factor. If you have schooling fish such as rainbows it could factor in, but not with what you have. Keep in mind the plants help every living thing in the tank and most deco items are just additional surface for bacteria growth.

As for stocking, the platys carry a significant bioload as they need plant based food to be healthy. I'd let them thin themselves down. I would add another 3-4 corys or get a 6 fish school of a different kind of cory. You may also consider another angel if that is what you were thinking. You have enough filtration for almost anything and that is always a good thing.

I agree with henningc, another angel or corys or another schooling fish 6 minimum. You'll need a plan in place for those platys though cos they will keep on breeding and breeding.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless you have bolders or some other huge structure displacing water it is not really a factor. If you have schooling fish such as rainbows it could factor in, but not with what you have. Keep in mind the plants help every living thing in the tank and most deco items are just additional surface for bacteria growth.

As for stocking, the platys carry a significant bioload as they need plant based food to be healthy. I'd let them thin themselves down. I would add another 3-4 corys or get a 6 fish school of a different kind of cory. You may also consider another angel if that is what you were thinking. You have enough filtration for almost anything and that is always a good thing.
I think I explained myself wrong. I was surprised that I have still 26% left that I can fill with fish. By no means I thought I have to take plants or deco out. I was just wondering if one has to count deco (like big rocks) as stocking percentage as well because they do take a lot of space. Did I explain it now better what I mean?

I like your fishy ideas but have a few questions. I am very careful with Angels because I am worried that they could cause trouble in my peaceful community. So far everything worked out fine. What happens with a second Angel? Isn't there a chance of aggressive behaviour when there are two of them?

What kind of catfish would you recommend?

If another school I was thinking of six cardinal tetras. I have so much red and yellow in the tank now that a little blue would be very nice.

LFor blue there is a really cool tetra called boehlkea fredcochui or blue tetra. As for stocking if you want to be super accurate you could take your decor out and see the water level drop then see how much water it takes to fill it back up that's your displacement amount. Also if you want to take you're substrate (sand/gravel) out of the equation measure your tank height on aquariumadvisor from the top of the substrate not the bottom of the glass. I hope this makes sense.

On a side note I bet most of your 74% is the platys it would be interesting to see what percentage you would have if you didn't include them on the advisor. As well as corydoras there's bristlenose plecos and otocinclus catfish the latter of which are tiny algae eaters that are ideal for planted tanks.

Oh as for angels they are great community fish.

LFor blue there is a really cool tetra called boehlkea fredcochui or blue tetra. As for stocking if you want to be super accurate you could take your decor out and see the water level drop then see how much water it takes to fill it back up that's your displacement amount. Also if you want to take you're substrate (sand/gravel) out of the equation measure your tank height on aquariumadvisor from the top of the substrate not the bottom of the glass. I hope this makes sense.

On a side note I bet most of your 74% is the platys it would be interesting to see what percentage you would have if you didn't include them on the advisor. As well as corydoras there's bristlenose plecos and otocinclus catfish the latter of which are tiny algae eaters that are ideal for planted tanks.

Oh as for angels they are great community fish.

Thank you for all the advice.
I like the idea with the bristlenose plecos. How many should I get? How many males and females?

Back
Top Bottom