The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George9 said:
I'm rinsing some of this black sand, I put it in a bucket with water and in swishing it around and stuff. The water keeps turning dark black. Should I rinse it until the water is clear?

Yea!! Do it!

Yes, rinse until the water is clear. It doesn't have to be perfect, but from what you describe it is not ready to go into the tank. I've only used black sand once and I loved the look of it, but it was really a nightmare to rinse and it took a while to settle. That was for a 5 gallon. I don't envy you the chore of rinsing enough sand for a 60 gallon. LOL.

The black sand I used was much more fine than the pool filter sand that I usually use. If I may make a recommendation for you, IMO it would be a good idea to cover up your intake for your Fluval. I use an Aquaclear 70 replacement sponge and cut it to fit (cut it about in half and cut an X shaped hole in the middle, should work). I would hate to see that filter suck up some of that black sand and have you wreck your impeller after you just got the thing. ;)

severum mama said:
Yes, rinse until the water is clear. It doesn't have to be perfect, but from what you describe it is not ready to go into the tank. I've only used black sand once and I loved the look of it, but it was really a nightmare to rinse and it took a while to settle. That was for a 5 gallon. I don't envy you the chore of rinsing enough sand for a 60 gallon. LOL.

The black sand I used was much more fine than the pool filter sand that I usually use. If I may make a recommendation for you, IMO it would be a good idea to cover up your intake for your Fluval. I use an Aquaclear 70 replacement sponge and cut it to fit (cut it about in half and cut an X shaped hole in the middle, should work). I would hate to see that filter suck up some of that black sand and have you wreck your impeller after you just got the thing. ;)

Yeah, thanks lol I don't wanna spend my christmas rinsing sand for hours!!

I plan on putting the sand in first when it's wet, then put a plate down and pour the water in so it doesn't get kicked around as much, but I will cover the intake just to be safe.

I actually meant in the long term. It's easy for fish to kick that sand up and if it happens around the filter, it could mess up your impeller if the filter sucks it in. This is JMO, of course. What brand of sand is it? The one I used was Carib Sea I think.

I picked out the petco brand sand. It's nothing like my sand I have now.

The sandbu have now is like beach sand, the new petco sand has a lot bigger grains. The grains feel like crushed sea shells. It will be harder to kick up, but still possible.

Ok, you shouldn't have a problem then. I thought you were using the really fine stuff like I did. I haven't used the Petco brand before so I'm interested to see what you think of it when you get it into your tank. If the grains are pretty large, you should be fine. Be sure to put up some pics when you get set up!

I'm forcing myself to wake up at 8:30 so I can get started, I'm gonna call a friend to help rinse some sand lol.

About the driftwood....the guy at thedriftoodstore.com says that the wood does not have to be soaked or boiled because it has been at the bottom of a lake for a really long time. Should I believe this?

George9 said:
I'm forcing myself to wake up at 8:30 so I can get started, I'm gonna call a friend to help rinse some sand lol.

About the driftwood....the guy at thedriftoodstore.com says that the wood does not have to be soaked or boiled because it has been at the bottom of a lake for a really long time. Should I believe this?

Id stick it in a bucket of hot water and check

The filter is assembled and the sand is still in the process of being rinsed.

My hands are turning black! It's funny because all the reviews of the petco sand say "required no rinsing!" and "water is crystal clear!"

Well u should def review it and correct that misconception. Lol.

Alright, well, I didn't get the tank filled today. The filter is ready and in place, but the sand just wont cooperate!

Ive been rinsing it and swishing it in a bucket forever, and the water just won't get clear. Am i doing something wrong or should I keep rinsing?

According to the reviews on PETCO.Com, the sand didn't even need rinsing lol

Hi I had the same problem a few days ago. I ended up just putting the sand in the tank after a some initial cleaning then ran water into the tank while siphoning out water at the same time and just using the water current to stir the sand up and it got clear after a few fill ups

Attachments

• image-1125374911.jpg
    image-1125374911.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 128
Hi I had the same problem a few days ago. I ended up just putting the sand in the tank after a some initial cleaning then ran water into the tank while siphoning out water at the same time and just using the water current to stir the sand up and it got clear after a few fill ups
Thanks! We have the same exact tank lol :D

As the black sand is sitting in the container in the water, the water is getting clearer little by little.

SM- you told me that you have a fluval 05 series filter I think, so I have a question about them.

Do you know what happens if the power goes out with the fluval canister filters? Does it continue to siphon? Or do you know if there is a mechanism on it to stop that?

I have a fluval 306 on that tank and if I unplug it it will hold the syphon and when I plug it back in its like nothing ecer happened

Devon6209 said:
I have a fluval 306 on that tank and if I unplug it it will hold the syphon and when I plug it back in its like nothing ecer happened

Good, that was my only concern with it!

The tank is set up as of ten minutes ago! No leaks!! Everything is working as it should and the water is not black from the sand. My driftwood is also came today, but if floats so it's not in quite yet. Cycling will start tomorrow. I will post pictures later today!

Here it is:

2m4atj7.jpg

Oh and, how could I get this driftwood to sink? I have it soaking in the bathtub now, but I've learned that this could take months! I might just find some big rocks and weigh it down.

George9 said:
Here it is:

Oh and, how could I get this driftwood to sink? I have it soaking in the bathtub now, but I've learned that this could take months! I might just find some big rocks and weigh it down.

Looks good! Whay is the glass streaky, the picture?

I just weigh mine down in a big sink. It works eventually, but not usually months!

Looks good! Whay is the glass streaky, the picture?

I just weigh mine down in a big sink. It works eventually, but not usually months!

The glass is streaky because thats little tiny bubbles, they usually come off on their own. Just ugly to look at.

How long does it usually take you to sink your driftwood?

Back
Top Bottom