Thinking about starting up a 14G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corrupt_Tiki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, so I was thinking about setting up a small 14G tank that I have in my garage on one of my bedside tables, although this location could change.

Basically, it's 500x300x360mm so I think a little bigger than the average nano?

My idea for it, is I would like it heavily planted, or at least the illusion of it being heavily planted, ie; 'grass' over all/most substrate, with tall plants in a U shape hugging the edges of the tank.

I was thinking of (in no particular order);

Java Fern, mainly to try and propagate to my main 45G tank
Dwarf Hairgrass
Cryptocoryne
Amazon Sword
And possibly some Riccia Fluitans

I was going to use EcoComplete for the substrate.

As far as tank inhabitants go, I would like to get some shrimp.
I was thinking maybe a colony of 10 Crystal Red Shrimp and 10 Cherry Shrimp
I would also like a betta as a Centrepiece fish, but as far as I have read, they consider shrimp a delicious snack, which is a shame.
So might instead settle for 8 or so neon tetra's

My questions are as follows, what sort of filtration would this tank need? What sort of lighting should I aim for, for good/vigorous plant growth?
Please keep in mind, I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, so any money saving tips will be considered!

Also would like opinions on stock/plant choice, Thanks!

Last edited:
Betta would indeed consider them a treat. I tried it just a week and a half ago. Just to be sure and even though there were rocks and plants after a day there were no shrimp :( .

I have two tanks of shrimp and one has Brigittae Rasboras "Chilis" and shrimp and rams horns, and a Nerite snail.

The other is like a little jungle 18 gal bowfront and has cherry shrimp and White Cloud Mountain Minnows, - very reasonably priced.

The Cherry shrimp were from someone locally and as a package deal they were 1. each and the I bought 70 and got them for $50. Mostly due to the fact they had the blue cherry shrimp I wanted. They were little tiny babies for the most part. I lost some over the months, but after several months I have begun having soooo many babies!

You should cycle the tank first and let it develop some good biofilm for a few months, put in your snails and plants and maybe a couple of fish to have something to look at and keep up the BB.

Start testing every few days to see if your water quality stays perfect. Then if they are the fish you will be keeping in there fine or remove them and add the keepers, wait, test, make sure it is stable, clean the substrate and pwc extra for the week or two before you will be getting the Cherry shrimp

Make sure the water quality is staying perfect then get the Cherry shrimp.

Crystal Red Shrimp need really perfect water so I would wait. Plus they are so much more expensive, so if you mess up you lose lots of $$$.

If you are serious for breeding, start with some Cherries to get the practice and experience. Then move them into a different tank and go for some nice quality colored ones. Taiwan Fire Red or better.

I presently am working with my Cherries for experience and I will be getting some CRS soon and see if I can get some nice ones. I have to set up a meeting for some in the next couple weeks, it is over an hour away so it isn't fitting into my schedule very easily. lol

Over feeding is a big problem. They don't need to eat the quantity like fish plus you have the biofilm and bits for them to snack on. I feed Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, and Microbites for the little fish and occasional Hikari Sinking wafers for Omnivores. I also have some Amano Japonica shrimp too cause they are fun to watch. Probably wouldn't have them with CRS if I was trying to breed them.

I have a little paradise for mine, the plants I have are lower light. Anubius Nana, Java moss, Java Fern, small and large moss balls, Narrow Anacharis, a variety which stays very petite, Microsword, Ludwigia Repens Arcata. I would have a few more just can't get enough to grow Subwassertang, Riccia and dwarf Riccia. Bolbitis Heudelotii, some need more light which would be dwarf hair grass and Hydrocoytle japan. So many choices.

I may go with some Orange Eye Blue Tigers (OEBT) I have two opportunities!!!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Autumn!

I know it's a shame with the betta, such annoying fish in that regard.

Hmm I think you turned me away from the RCS, as I have no illusion to the fact that I can get lazy with tank maintenance.

Also, some of those plants look interesting, particularly the Micro Sword and Bolbitis.

I may just get a school of Neons ~ 10 or so, and hope that the 20 cherry shrimp produce more offspring than the neons can eat, I'll definitely put them in first, try get a decent colony established before the neons make their appearance.

As for food I was thinking of just dropping in an algae wafer every other day, just to supplement more than anything.

Might put a beta in a smaller 5-10G tank next to it, and share the water between the two, I'll have a think about that

---Edit: Also, those Orange Eye Blue Tigers look amazing, I'm glad you didn't abbreviate that! Too many abbreviations just turn it into an indecipherable mess, well, for newish people like me anyway.

Last edited:
You can add the Japonica/Amano shrimp and they are a riot of hilarity and no worries for Neons eating them. Check out Cardinals too. I think I am preferring them, but you need a stable, established tank.

Being realistic about the time commitment and maintenance is a big plus. There are plenty of awesome aquatic creatures which aren't as delicate and sensitive.

I would rather have a tank of happy living Cherry Shrimp than a tank full of dead CRS, and the worry, cost and the guilt, so I can enjoy them instead! lol I will be trying out either the OEBT No one has the OEBT at the LFS but there is someone 1.5 hour drive away with some for sale, so I am trying to decide, or a pack of CRS.

I have a Mexican Orange dwarf crayfish (CPO) dropping babies right now!!!!! :dance: Very fun hobby!!!

Back
Top Bottom