Thread Algae, and Cycling Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakester42

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon long tank that i am trying to achieve a Dwarf hairgrass carpet in. I have a DIY Co2 set up and a nutrafin one. I have 5 wpg lighting as well and have been doing the npk and trace fertilizers. The nutrafin co2 kit I got had silicone tubing and has given me an outbreak of thread algae that I have heard will go away after i cycle the tank but the problem is the algae gets on my DHG and literally sucks the nutrients right out of it then spreads to another patch after killing it and its everywhere. I have been trying to cycle the tank fast enough to get rid of the algae but even using dr tims bacteria and ammonia solution I'm not quite cycled yet. In a last ditch effort to save the grass I turned off the filter then put hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and sprayed the grass and also separated some grass and sprayed it and am keeping it by the light in a cup of chlorinated water and moved so grass close to the filter so the algae cannot stay put. I'm leaving on vacation and im thinking ill just try cycling when I get back and take out the nutrafin and silicone for new tubing and 2 2 liters of DIY CO2.

Should I do what im planning or what future moves should I take im getting lost

alright I cut the lighting down to 2.5

I can wait on the cycling because but how do I save the grass because its turning yellow. 50% pwc then fert?

Hi! It sounds like you have a few things happening at once. First, your tank is going to cycle whether you want it to or not. There is no 'waiting' on the cycling process. Continue to provide an ammonia source and nature will handle the rest.

In respect to the hair grass, I would move it back into the tank and post in the planted section for advice on how to best care for it and ensure its survival. I know it can be one of the more difficult plants to care for and grow. Please ask if you have further questions on cycling! :)

Back
Top Bottom