Unintentional Cycle? & Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenatron

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, so I got a Fluval Edge (6 Gallon) on sale on Monday. We (iDreamInSaltwater and I) set it up on Tuesday.
I swapped the stock bulbs for MR11's. In it, I have: a little building thing, fake plants, fake driftwood, and sand (10 lbs). After researching the sand I was going to buy (CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight Sand Premium Aquarium Substrate), I assumed it wasn't live sand. (Is there even live sand for freshwater?)
Anyway, I noticed today (Friday) that the water was getting cloudy. I haven't even gotten it set up to my liking yet, so I hadn't even considered cycling. It's just plain tap water, not even dechlorinated yet.
I had heard of New Tank Syndrome, so I decided to test my water levels (per API Master Test Kit)....

P.H: ~7.4 - 7.6
Nitrites: ~0 - 0.25 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0.4 ppm

Now I'm not GREAT at this stuff, but I know a little and Corey (iDreamInSaltwater) confirmed to me that this is the start of cycling.
How is it that it's cycling when I haven't put anything in it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'm aware of the inch of fish per gallon of water rule. But I've also heard some people say that's applicable (in freshwater) per swimming level. Meaning take it with a grain of salt: if they're different swimming levels it's okay?

Well, I was considering for stocking:
5 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Honey Gouramis
2 Dwarf Cory Cats (Peppered or Albino)

(Also, I know I'll need a heater. I've got one. :])

Being a serial under-stocker this seems a little too much for the size of the tank. I'm not worried about filtration, as the Edge has a filter rated for 20 gallons (Aqua Clear 20 Power Filter). I'm just worried about swimming room and comfortability.

For reference, the tanks dimensions are: 17" Length x 10.25" Width x 9" Height.

Thanks for your time. :)

Last edited:
Stock list is abit too much. Each of what you list get to be 2" at adult size. Unless your going to move them to a bigger tank when they get older - which is quick. You'll have a very large bio-load in a very small tank.

If I were you, I would get a couple corys and the two gouramis. That'd really be all you can have.

You prolly could do a group of tetras better, since they are small and pretty colorful.

I was actually advised harlequin rasboras over tetras because even though rasboras can get larger than some tetras, they're less energetic. Thus the tetras would really be in need of the larger tank.

can a mod move this to the general freshwater forum? it doesnt seem to be getting any replies in here.

and a small bump!

Cories like to be in groups and they get too big... so I'd say no on those.

Frankly I'd do the rasboras and some shrimp or *maybe* some otos.

I have 3 cardinal tetras and 7 shrimp in my 5gal planted, going to perhaps get another cardinal or two and some more shrimp.

I'd suspect you have ammonia and nitrate in your tap water, which is why you're getting readings. Dechlor it and start your cycle.

You are not cycling your tank, it is sitting there wasting your time. If you had dechlorinated the water, the small amount of ammonia in the tank might be having some minimal effect to begin a cycle.
For stocking levels, once you get the tank cycled, you are looking at 3 or 4 fish total in that tiny tank. There is no such thing as an albino dwarf cory or a peppered dwarf cory. The only dwarfs that exist are C hastatus, C habrosus and C pygmaeus. All of the other cories will grow too big for that tank.

Back
Top Bottom